Chapter 24

Staying in the darkness of the blood red night, Gerdu sighed at the sight he had to witness. "I certainly wish I had been told of this situation sooner." His gloved hand began to tap relentlessly upon the tree nearby with a nasally sigh. "But, until I am told to act... I will stay my hand in the matter."

The merchant sat down, trying to find rest in the coming hours. It was better to have the energy than to be constantly on the verge of an attack.

"I just better be paid after all this." The words were spoken with lighthearted sarcasm, hoping to lighten the mood for himself.

The top of the summit appeared like a deserted small town. Many different log cabins glittering in snow showed no signs of life the moment you and the others arrived. It was enchanting with the blue fires enriching the scene, but equally haunting all the same.

Del'tra motioned to a nearby building. There wasn't anything special about its appearance compared to the others. She just felt this would be the better alternative out of the others seeing as it was the closest. "Here," she murmured. "One of us is human, and it is better to consider such seeing as she is your 'mate-to-be'."

Jaldabaoth could catch the condescending tone in the Alcune's words. A warning growl rumbled in his throat. "I am certain I need not show you where you stand, woman."

Del'tra stifled her desire to snap back. To die for her right to be seen as a warrior rather than some 'woman' in this demon's eyes would be pleasurable by comparison to his mockery.

But she said nothing.

Belmertoh stifled a sigh himself, wishing the moon wouldn't encourage further aggression from the demon. "The house is big enough for me to work on the dress within. If you wish for extra eyes to be cast upon them, I will do my best to make certain nothing befalls any of them once more."

"See to it then. I have a meal to make."

The moment the devil spawned his wings and headed back to the carriage, Belmertoh turned to you with a shake of his head. "Forgive me, my Lady." He motioned towards the home ahead, urging you inside with Nyala. "Even along the way, there wasn't much sense I could bring to him."

"Jealousy is a cruel emotion," you whispered upon Nyala's head, trying to shush her as you held her close to your chest. "I feel he only wants me because I belonged to his former brother..."

The tailor hummed in thought about that. "Per...haps." He stalled in saying the word. "However, in the end, the two brothers share a love of the same scent emitted from the same partner."

You found a seat within the home. It was lined with animal furs of creatures you couldn't guess the origins of. Rubbing Nyala's back, you looked down at her. "Are you alright, sweetie?"

She shook her head slowly, still trembling.

It was easy to feel that it was more from fright than the cold.

Kissing her between her horns several times, you tried to soothe her. "I know," you sighed, responding to Belmertoh. "I remember this curse the two have."

His golden eyes set upon Del'tra. "Is it alright we are here? This isn't a place for the dead, is it?"

She was a bit surprised he would ask that. "Ah, right. You're a demon. I forget your kind tends to have one foot in the physical world and the other in the spiritual realm." Del'tra shook her head. "The spirits are said to linger here. In fact, centuries ago, there were burials here to see their souls taken up to the stars above. We used to burn the bodies after preparing them for that moment a week in advance."

Belmertoh gazed about the building. "I can tell.. There are lingering emotions here. Mostly of sorrow."

Del'tra nodded. "To prepare the body, it often depended on what it was. Besides, we let the old decide when they wish to leave—not the family—unless the elderly or sick cannot speak for themselves. Some just know when it is nearing that time. So for a week, they spend it up here closer to the stars of the Goddess Epona's grace. We would schedule when it would be time to give them their last meal, surrounded by those that loved them."