Ch. 2: Meetings

Ayaara's P.O.V.

2 years later...

"I'd rather not sell any company shares, jaan, no matter how much they're offering. I want to keep them in the family. Dada Ji and Abba have worked so hard to get the company where it is. I don't think they'd want anyone else having any stakes besides them, Mahira Apa, Sahir, Javed, Ayaara, and I," Zahid Bhaijaan said after taking a sip of coffee.

"I understand, jaana. Then turn them down," Mehwish Bhabi responded before taking a bite of scrambled eggs.

"What are you guys talking about?" I sat down next to them at the breakfast table.

It had been two years since that night Faris came to my apartment in Oxford. He ended up moving in with his colleague Rizwan as it turned out he was looking for a tenant for his spare room.

Faris was really disturbed by what happened between him and Zayed Khalu, but he's since recuperated; however, things are still sour between them. They don't talk anymore. He hadn't gone home for nearly two months. Nikita Khala and Zoya would go over to his shared flat, but Khala missed having her son at home. She even called me to convince Faris to visit home at least, if not move back in, but he wouldn't listen to me. It wasn't until I adamantly insisted that Faris take me to visit them that he finally went. Faris would steal glances at his father, but Khalu would keep his face turned the other way, sitting at the opposite end of the room, no words exchanged. Till date, neither of them will divulge to me what happened. Both men just say they don't want to talk about it while Khala and Zoya remain unaware of the reason behind the argument.

As planned, Zahid Bhaijaan and Mehwish Bhabi moved here two years ago. I would visit and stay with them every time I came to London. Sometimes I slip away to meet some "friends," also known as Faris, or he would come over and the four of us would hang out. We'd maintain a distance around them, although Bhai and Bhabi would still subtly tease us.

It was now early June. I just graduated from Oxford! Abbajaan and Javed Bhaijaan had flown in for the graduation ceremony then went back to New York after a week. I explained to Abba that I wanted to get some work experience before going back to New York. I studied business with an emphasis in fashion and event planning, so I wanted to explore that scene first since I wasn't sure if I wanted to join the family company despite having shares in it.

Sheryl and I decided to shift to a flat in London because that's where I found a job, while Sherry was still looking. This past weekend, I had slept over at our London family home to spend time with my brother and sister-in-law.

"Just this business proposal we got," Bhai explained.

I nodded.

I didn't really keep up with our company's business affairs.

"Once you're done, we'll get going to the office, jaan," he said to Mehwish Bhabi.

"I'm done! Let me go get my blazer," she responded before rushing off to their bedroom.

Bhaijaan and I stood up. He engulfed me in a hug, resting his chin on my head.

Growing up without Ami and with Zahid Bhaijaan being the oldest sibling, he'd always been like a parental figure to Javed Bhai and I. He was so loving.

"What are your plans for today?" he asked.

"A friend and I are going to meet up for lunch."

"Rachel?"

"No. A different friend."

"Hmm," I could hear the amusement in his tone because he knew it was Faris, "have fun and stay safe."