Ch. 30: The Lightning Strike

🎶 "Ve je hun tu vi badal gaya, main te mar hi javangi. Qismat badaldi vekhi main, jag badalda vekehya, main badalde vekhe apne."

"If you change too, then I will die. I've seen destiny change, I've seen the world change, I've seen those close to me change." 🎶

- Qismat | Jaani | Ammy Virk

Faris's P.O.V.

Husband?

Ayaara had married again?

I stared at her with a parted mouth as I processed her words.

A housekeeper appeared in the doorway, "Pardon me, ma'am."

Ayaara turned her head towards her.

"What should the chef prepare for dinner?"

Dinner? They were asking her what should be prepared?

"Nothing, Elora. I will be leaving soon. Thank you." She answered before looking at me again.

It then clicked.

This was her house.

She had married her old boss, the man from the photo.

No wonder I found her here, that too, at this hour.

"Y-you married Mr. Yasir Amir." I stated with realization.

It felt like the remaining pieces of my heart had disintegrated while I took everything in.

She'd moved on. There was someone else in her life. She was with someone else. She was someone else's wife.

Ayaara and I were going to have a baby, our own baby, but we lost our child. My insides ached hearing it.

And to think she grieved through it all alone.

What did I even think?... It was foolish of me. Given how much I felt for her, her being my first love, the love of my life—I thought that maybe, just maybe, we would reunite again, that somehow, someday, once everything blew over, we would get back together, that she would have been waiting for me, that she would forgive me, that she would realize her Faris would've never cheated on her like that. But I put her through a lot. And I would always be sorry for it.

I cleared my throat quietly, "When?"

"It's been about over a year."

I nodded slowly as I swallowed hard.

Ayaara's P.O.V.

There were so many things going through my mind as I stood in front of Faris.

And like he said, he wasn't there for me when I needed him. But Yasir was. Yasir was always there for me.

I wanted to go to him.

"I need to go, Faris."

He nodded and followed me outside.

"Ayaara?" He called quietly after we reached our cars.

I faced him.

"I'm sorry. I hope you will forgive me," he studied my eyes with a sorrowful look for a minute before speaking solemnly, "One of the biggest reasons I hid all of this is because I was afraid of losing you. I just- Would you have wanted to continue dating, let alone marry a married man? Regardless of it being namesake?"

He kept silent waiting for a response, as did I. I didn't want to admit that I wouldn't have while we were dating. But had I known the actual truth during our marriage, I'm not sure—it wouldn't have been black and white.