Ch. 29: Blast From the Past

🎶 "Ve methon tera mann bharrya, mann bharrya, badal gaya saara, ve tu mainu chadd jaana, gallan teriyan ton lagda ae, yaara"

"You're no longer interested in me, you're no longer interested, everything has changed, you're going to leave me, it seems so from your talks, my love." 🎶

- Mann Bharrya | Jaani | B Praak

Ayaara's P.O.V.

"If it's a number that ends with 3944, don't answer it." I told Burton.

He looked at me confused before checking the caller ID. He grew more puzzled probably because the call was indeed from that number.

Perplexed myself, I turned around and headed to the kitchen.

This was the first time his father had called. Why had he? After all these years? Did he want to reconcile? Had he tried reaching out to Yasir prior to this call? A million variations of these questions floated around in my mind while I cooked.

I was mixing a bowl of salad when I felt Yasir's hands on my hips from behind me. I hadn't even realized he came home.

"You're home, jaana?"

He leaned into my neck, "Yes, my love."

I nodded slowly.

Should I wait until after dinner to tell him?

"What's on your mind?" His lips skimmed up to my earlobe, nibbling softly.

Nothing got away from his eyes. He was immediately able to tell something was up.

His hands wandered up my shirt, feeling up my waist.

I cleared my throat softly, "Yasir, your dad called earlier."

His hands froze as did his teeth.

I turned to face him as he straightened himself.

With a now serious expression, he probed intently, "Did you speak to him?"

"Yes, I-" my face fell at his lips that formed a thin line and tightened jaw, "Baby-"

He stormed off to his library and I followed, calling after him, "Yasir!"

Hands balled into fists, he faced the window.

"Yasir, listen to me! The phone rang and when I picked up, I kept saying 'hello,' but I didn't hear anything until he finally spoke and asked who I was. I didn't say because I was confused since he was the one calling, so I asked who he was instead, and he said he was Zafar Amir. I hung up right away becaus-"

He turned around, glaring at me, "I told you to steer clear from him, Ayaara. You weren't supposed to talk to him."

His words were sharp, slow, and deliberate.

My eyes slowly flooded with tears because of his anger towards me. This was the first time I made him so upset.

"But I didn't reall-"

He walked past me.

I stood there and the tears eventually spilled over.

Yasir got angry just by this? I hadn't really even spoken to his father! I hung up as soon as I found out it was him.

The rattling sound of car keys echoed through the hall, so I quickly began making my way out of the library while wiping my tears, "Yasir, I'm sorr-"

The front door shut just as I reached the foyer.

He left?

Never did I imagine such a reaction from him. I thought maybe he would be reserved about it after I told him and, yes, get mad, but not this much. I didn't think things would escalate like this.