Ch. 13: Choti Mamma

🎶"Tere dhoke ne sajna mainu maar mukaya. Main mar te gayi aan phir saah kyun hai aaya?"

"Your betrayal, my love, has killed me. When I've already died, why do I still breathe?"🎶

- Sajna | Yashal Shahid | Sibtain Khalid

Ayaara's P.O.V.

A warm blanket of sunshine coming in through the sliding glass balcony door woke me up the next morning.

My eyes felt heavy. The bathroom mirror revealed they were swollen.

After I performed wudu and offered my prayer, I walked to the living room hesitantly.

I didn't know what to expect of our next encounter.

As I reached the end of the hall, I found the living room empty.

He didn't come home.

I took a shaky breath.

He was probably with her.

Treading over to the door, I picked up my car keys and coat before exiting the apartment and driving over to Abba's house.

"Ayaara?" Javed Bhaijaan's grin faltered after seeing my face once he opened the door.

I enveloped him in a hug.

"What happened?"

I shook my head.

He pulled me in front of him, "Ayaara, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, Bhaijaan," I forced a smile on my face before walking past him, "Where's Abba?"

"He went to Nani's."

"Oh."

He held my arm and turned me around to face him, speaking more solemnly, "Did something happen?"

I shook my head once more with a small smile.

He studied my face, "Is it Faris? Did you two have a fight?"

I tensed up, trying to come up with an excuse.

"Do you want me to talk to him?"

I spoke in my normal positive tone, "No no, Bhaijaan," then looked at him quietly, the faux smile still pasted on my lips.

He reached forward and held my cheek, his thumb stroking under my eye, before nodding slowly.

Combined with my heightened emotions, the tenderness made my eyes wet.

"Did you have breakfast? I was making waffles. Do you want some?"

I hadn't eaten since I last had dinner with Faris. Yet, somehow, I wasn't hungry.

"Only if you put chocolate chips in them," I said with a smile, trying to convince him that I was okay.

I also didn't want to pass out and worry him further.

He ruffled my hair, "Of course. Come, sit."

I sat on the stool in front of the kitchen island and asked about Malaika as he cooked.

As Bhaijaan spoke, all that flashed in front of my eyes were Faris, Faryal, and their son.

Their son.

"Ayaara?!" Javed Bhai took my name with concern, "Why are you crying?!"

I quickly wiped my cheeks, "Where? I probably just yawned."

"You look tired, little one. Why don't you take a nap after you eat?"

I nodded.

Faris's P.O.V.