17 | Playing Good Cop Bad Cop

"Oh! Mum, how nice of you stop by... Uh, don't take this the wrong way because I obviously love having you here but um, why are you here?" Tom asked, me overhearing the conversation of him letting his mother into the house.

"Where is she?" Nikki asked bluntly, entering the house.

"Where is who?" Tom asked back, confused to why his Mum had let herself onto the property and refused to answer his question about what actually brought her here in the first place.

"That nasty little bitch," Nikki said maliciously. I could basically hear the venom spitting off her tongue as she said it. Not wanting to come face to face with a woman who already disliked me and was now in a furious rage, I stayed in the living room to avoid the argument that would inevitably start; Tom can deal with his mother on his own.

"Sofia? H-how did you even know she was here?" Tom continued, their conversation still loud enough in the hall for me to hear.

"No, Y/N! She's not still here is she? After what that psychotic little liar has done to all of us?!" Nikki yelled, her footsteps sounding as if they were coming closer and closer - she was hunting me down.

"What are you even on about Mum? Can you please just stop pacing for two seconds and talk to me before storming into our home?" Tom said loudly, obviously confused as to what information Nikki had been given to dislike me even more.

Looking up from my phone, I stayed perfectly still on the couch, trying not to draw attention to the fact I was within earshot of them and Nikki obviously wanted to have an argument about me; or with me, I'm really not sure.

"Sofia came to our house yesterday with her face covered in blood saying that not only did Y/N lash out at her out of jealousy, but you then sent her away after being attacked the night prior? What is wrong with you Thomas?!" She said exasperated.

"What? Sofia went to your house? Is she still there? Mum please tell me she's not still there," Tom asked confused.

Nikki eventually calmed down from her previous anger level 80 out of 100 to a solid 50, still ridiculously furious but enough to talk to Tom in a logical manner. She explained that after Sofia had shown up at heir house desperate for help, she told Nikki, Harry and Paddy the 'truth' about mine and Tom's relationship.

She told them that Tom had stitched up her stab wound after coming to him for help.

That is correct.
Tom said, 'yeah but it's pretty shit though she should go to a doctor or something'.

She told them that Tom let her stay the night at our house and gave her a warm bed.

That is also correct.
Tom said, 'The Code says I have to protect The Family in times of need so yeah I let her stay'.

She told them that in the morning after she had kindly made us all breakfast, I apparently lashed out at her and slammed her head down onto the outdoor table.

That is half correct.
Tom said that yes, she made breakfast, yes her head slammed the table and no, I was not the cause of her head slamming down onto the table.

She told them that the reason I had lashed out was because after I had lost my job for being fraudulent, I started doing heroin and had a drug induced rage.

That is definitely incorrect.
Tom said, 'Y/N has never touched heroin'.

She told them that I had gotten Tom addicted to heroin as well and that he overdosed at Harrison's engagement party and I was the one who pressured him into it.

That is incorrect.
Tom said, 'That's fucking bullshit'.

She showed them photos of Tom doing heroin as proof. How did she get these photos? She must have hacked into Harrison's iCloud and retrieved them from when he had used the photos as a wake up call to Tom.

When Tom saw the photos he realised how much of an addiction issue he had and the photos helped him start his journey to recovery. Of course, to a parent, seeing their son with a heroin needle in their arm and vomit on the floor, they would believe anything regarding the 'how' and the 'why'.

In this case, I am the how and why.

"Not only does she attack Sofia, a dear family friend to our family for years, but she influences you to do life threatening drugs? Thomas how can you be so blinded by the fact this girl is a huge mistake?" Nikki said empathetically, trying to obviously get Tom to leave me.

"Mum! You're not listening to me! I was the one who got myself into heroin after Dad died and Y/N was the only fucking person who noticed something was wrong with me. She was the one who helped me kick the addiction and she was the one who stood by my fucking side whilst I was at the lowest point in my life. So don't think for one second that you can come into my house and tell me she's a mistake because she's the best fucking thing that's happened to me," Tom retaliated back.

And that's when enough was enough and I emerged from my hiding in the living room and stood at the other end of the hall. I don't want Tom to fight with his mother over me... Even though he's right and she's wrong.

"You realise that Sofia is completely bullshitting your family into thinking I'm the bad guy right? Are you forgetting who her psychopath father is? Maybe you forgot the fact that she tried to force Tom into marriage without telling him. Or are you just forgetting who got your husband out of prison and need a refresher on who the good guy in this situation is, because I was the one who got him back," I said, fully preparing myself to be punched, kicked or shot by Nikki Holland.

"Oh look who it is! You need to leave my son and leave this house right now!" She pointed, Tom already holding his own mother's arm to keep her away from me.

You know how before she was at level 80? Now it's the full 100.

"No Mum, I think you should leave this house," he interrupted, pulling her back down the hall towards the front door.

Nikki was crying hysterically at this point as Tom escorted her to her car, which is completely understandable. As much as she fed into Sofia's bullshit, she had now seen her son at his lowest point; lying in his own sick injected with a needle containing a fatal drug. Any parent would be distraught by that image of their own child.

After Tom came back inside he leant against the front door with a deep sigh and asked if I was okay, I nodded and asked him the same question. He shook his head and put his arms out for me to hug him, which I obviously did.

"I need to be the one to deal with this Sofia shit, let me meet up with her and see what she wants from us. Obviously in a public place where she can't attack herself or me," I said holding his head against my shoulder and smiling softly to myself when he nodded.

"I'm sorry you had to hear Mum say all that shit about you," he said gently.

"She just thinks Sofia is an angel and once she realises she's not, maybe she'll end up liking me," I laughed, letting go of him and offering to make him tea.

Which made him smile.