43 | Are You Reading That Right?

"Y/N? Y/N, my name is Doctor Cartwright, you can call me David though. How are you feeling?" A man in white said sitting on the end of the bed I was in.

I don't remember getting to the hospital. I don't remember being put in this room. I don't remember not being able to move my neck. Wait, why can't I move my head? I moved my hand up to feel the brace on my neck, feeling the thick foam wrapped the entire way around.

"I- I'm sorry I'm just really confused," I said furrowing my brows and looking back at the doctor.

"Do you remember getting in the car after having too much to drink?" He asked politely. I nodded. Kind of. I nodded as much as I could with foam holding my head up.

"You are very lucky to come out of the accident unscathed. We have that foam neck brace on to help with the minor whiplash. Other than that, you are basically perfect. We called your emergency contact, they're outside now. We waited for you to wake up," he advised.

"A-am I going to be arrested?" I asked timidly.

"That's not up to me unfortunately. Are you okay to see guests right now?" He asked smiling.

He got up off the bed and left the room, one his shoes slightly squeaking. The hospital was deadly quiet, so his shoes sounded weirdly loud. As one man left, another man entered; none other than a certain Mr Thomas Holland.

"Why are you here?" I asked quietly, sitting up in the hospital bed.

"I'm still your emergency contact. The doctor told me what you did... Why do you think that drunk driving was a smart idea?" He said closing the door behind him and crossing his arms.

He tossed a tote bag with a pair of fresh clothes inside onto the end of the bed. He looked disheveled and exhausted, like he hadn't slept at all. His hair was a mess and he was wearing an oversized hoodie, which he rarely left the house wearing. He looked the same as I did; like we had hit rock bottom.

"I never said it was a smart idea. Are you seriously just here to scrutinise me? Because I don't need that right now okay?" I sighed.

"They won't let you leave here without someone picking you up. Come on, I'm driving you home," Tom said bluntly, his tone direct and empty.

The word home. Did he mean my parents house? Did he mean his house? Was that even ours anymore?

"What about my Mum's car? Does my mum even know?" I said slowly getting out of bed and pulling the clothes out of the bag.

"I replaced it, don't worry. I made it look like you've surprised her. It's nothing expensive, just a better model of the same car she had. I'll be in the hall," he said, swinging the door open and closing it once again behind him.

I won't lie, it was refreshing seeing Tom right now when several hours of my memory were missing and I had woken up in hospital. Luckily, I was mostly uninjured, I didn't need more battle wounds right now. He didn't seem too happy to see me right now though.

I got changed quickly in the t-shirt and tracksuit pants Tom had brought for me, slipping my sneakers on from last night. Leaving the hospital room I saw Tom on his phone, leaning against the wall.

"Thank you for picking me up," I said quietly.

"Woah! Woah! Okay, you guys haven't been officially discharged. There's still some stuff we need to cover off. Do you mind going back into the room please?" A nurse said jogging towards us. Her artificial red hair was half grown out with dark roots and a pen was shoved through the back.

Tom sighed loudly, turning around and moving back into the hospital room we came from. He stood in front of the bed as I sat down on the end. Doctor Cartwright came back in with his cliche clipboard and smiled at us both.

"You guys can leave just as soon as I check all this stuff off. So, the most important thing I needed to discuss could be considered private, Y/N do you want Thomas to leave?" He asked.

"It's fine, he's my partner," I said after a snap hesitation. Another word that didn't feel right to me anymore; partner. And looking at the blank expression on Tom's face when he heard it, I don't think it felt right to him either.

"With the excessive drinking last night and the trauma of the air bags, your early pregnancy has been identified by medical staff as, terminated," the doctor said unclicking his pen and looking up at me.

I laughed. I actually laughed when he said that. I was sure that he was playing some sick prank. Did Tom set him up to say this?

"You're reading that wrong Doc, I'm definitely not pregnant," I chuckled.

"To our estimates, you would only have been about two months along at the maximum. I'm sorry," he said sighing.

"I think I would have known if I was pregnant. Are you sure?" I said screwing my face up and looking at Tom who was staring at the ground.

"Some of the common symptoms of an early pregnancy include tender or swollen breasts, nausea, have you missed your period?" He asked.

I threw up the other night when Tom and I fought... But that was anxiety right? I woke up in the middle of the night feeling sick but... I thought it was the stress and the anxiety.

"I- We recently went to Italy and I took the pill back to back to skip it for the week. Well I thought I was skipping it on purpose," I said shaking my head and taking a deep breath.

"That was the only thing I needed to inform you about. Expect some bleeding in the next week. Okay, sign here, take these info packs and you guys are free to leave," the doctor said holding the clipboard out for me. I took the pen, scribbled my signature and stood up. Was that it? I could leave already?

"You ready?" I said looking at Tom still sitting in the chair staring at the floor. He nodded, stood up quickly and walked out of the room in front of me.

We didn't speak at all on the way to his car. Honestly, I was just shocked to know that I was pregnant but then also relieved that I wasn't anymore. I wasn't ready to have kids. I didn't even know if I wanted kids. And fuck, imagine if I found out I was pregnant knowing I had been beaten by Jack Maniscalo, drinking heavily and potentially abusing drugs.

Jesus Christ, this is a blessing in disguise.