Chapter 5

I am supposed to be in the lab doing research from 10am till noon today but it is 11:30 and I am already anxiously checking the clock

I am supposed to be in the lab doing research from 10am till noon today but it is 11:30 and I am already anxiously checking the clock. Tuesday I lost track of time and Francesca beat me to the rink, I refuse to be beat again. I want to set up the cones differently and no way she will listen to my suggestion, so my only way to get what I want is to get there first and set it up myself.

"Hey dude." Andrew, my supervisor, comes over to where I am frantically writing in my beat up lab book. This is my second one this year because the last one accidentally got covered in chemicals. Thankfully on my first day Andrew told me to scan my notebook before I leave the lab everyday, so I only lost a few notes from that day which I was able to rewrite.

"Hey," I reply not even looking up at him. Andrew is cool but he definitely pushes me. He sees what I am capable of and wants me to reach my potential. The only issue is I am currently gassed. I am basically running on empty trying to keep this undefeated season alive. Hockey is a team sport but yet I still put the entire weight of the team on my shoulders.

"Your rat looks plump," he remarks poking at the rat in the cage next to me.

"Didn't your mother ever teach you it is rude to comment on a ladies weight Drew?"

"Sorry sorry," he laughs looking over my shoulder at my notes. "Not getting the results you want today?"

"No," I sigh in frustration. "My head just isn't in it today."

"Well why not?" Drew is 50% my supervisor but also 50% my therapist. Besides Bray and Stan, I usually don't complain to anyone else but Drew has a way of dragging everything out of me.

"I was late to my ice time Tuesday and the figure skater, that I have to share with, split the ice and it really didn't work for what I was trying to practice and we play Penn State at Penn State this weekend and last time we played them it was tight and their home games are insane and I had to break up a fight in the basement yesterday."

"Your team is fighting?" Drew looks mildly horrified, as a former athlete, at the idea of our team breaking apart and fighting.

"God no, they bought these stupid toy drones, probably spent stupid money on them, and now they host drone fights in the basement."

"Drone fights."

"Drone fights," I repeat, the exhaustion hitting me as Drew listens to all my stresses and worries.

"But classes are ok? You know I was a Chem Major in undergrad. I can help if you need."

"Classes are the easy part, it is everything else."

Drew nods in understanding looking at my disaster of a station. Everything I did today went wrong and the frustration is evident in the test tubes and other equipment spread out haphazardly. "Scan your notes and get out of here, I will clean up."