Chapter 29

"Question?" I fire off as soon as I open the car door

"Answer," Ryder replies while assessing the cut on his cheek in the mirror.

Last night after sledding, Ryder and I drove a few towns over and went to dinner where we knew we'd be safe. As we were leaving I slipped on ice and pulled poor Ryder down with me. His face hit the ground and he scratched his cheek. He thought it was funny, I still feel horrible about it. I made him come up to my apartment when we got back to school to let me clean it up. Apparently my Finding Nemo band aids weren't his speed because they are no longer piled on his face.

"Do you want to play in the Olympics?" This morning Tristian, Parker, Luna, and I went to breakfast and were talking about the recent Olympics and how Team USA Figure Skating did surprisingly bad. We all have Olympic dreams, I feel like most athletes who play a sport that is in the Olympics do, but now I wonder. Is hockey like gymnastics or figure skating where making an olympic team is the peak of your career or is it more like basketball where most pros turn down the opportunity.

"The Olympics? I never really thought about it honestly."

"Wouldn't making the team be cool?"

"I guess, I mean it's kind of like making the all star game they are obviously picking the best players. Last Olympics NHL players couldn't play so I guess I didn't really think about it being something I could or would do."

"Did they do it this year?"

"Yeah a few guys went but a lot of the best opted for the all star game and to relax with family."

"If asked, would you go?"

"Well I am probably not good enough to get asked but I guess if I was it would depend on one thing."

"If you made the all star game," I ask because everyone knows the all star game is scheduled during the Olympics so the season isn't disrupted for three weeks for no reason.

"Nah, who made the figure skating team. I could never live your dream without you there."

Instantly my heart stops and then takes off wildly. I am a pile of mush in the passenger seat at Ryder words. He only wants to go to the Olympics if I am there? Me? As if my crush on Ryder wasn't already making me into some giddy little kid. I am fucked and the fact I think he has a crush on Maya is doing all sorts of things to me. Yesterday when he asked about her I swear I wanted to throw myself out of the moving car. I mean I want Maya around too and originally I wanted Ryder and Maya together but now... now I want him for myself and I am not sure I can keep ignoring that, no matter how much they're into each other.

Lunas 'be careful' warning from Valentines day rattled around in my head. So much for no feelings. I am not even sure where these feelings came from honestly because when I told Luna I didn't have feelings I wasn't bluffing. They kind of came out of nowhere and all this time spent together is not helping them subside.