Chapter 44

"I can't believe Pman is out," Tristian says from the bedroom while the 5 of us in the bathroom try to share the hotel mirror to finish out hair and make up

"I can't believe his real name is Preston," Maya confesses with a laugh.

"What did you think it was?" Parker is sitting behind us on the bathroom floor obsessively texting Bray. The team is on edge today with the line changes and despite having almost zero idea about hockey Parker is trying to be supportive.

"I don't know, I don't know where half their nicknames come from? Like Stan his real name is Alex, where the fuck did Stan come from?"

"Flat Stanley," I tell her while trying to get my eye black under each eye to look even. "He got slammed into the wall so many times Coach said he was going to be as flat as flat Stanley and the name stuck."

"Forget Stan, I thought Bray's real name was Bray until like yesterday when I heard Parker moaning it," Paulie adds also in the bedroom with Tristian.

"It's not!" Heather yells as she and a few others walk into our hotel room. The 15 of us are sharing 3 rooms but somehow our room became the hangout.

Parker rolls his eyes but says, "No, his last name is Brayden, thats where Bray came from."

"What's his first," I ask, realizing I don't even know it. Even on his social media Bray just uses Bray.

"Peter," Paulie barks before laughing like a hyena.

"No!" Luna screams, turning around to look at Parker who is flipping everyone off.

"Fuck you all, you're all jealous."

Tristian comes into the bathroom pretending to shoot webs from his wrists and rolls his eyes at Parker. "Ok dud, keep telling yourself that one."

"Play nice boys," I warn, finally stepping away from the mirror satisfied with my look. Maya grabs my chin and in the middle of the eye black draws a little 8 in white eyeliner. We all decided since the guys are so rattled about today to be as extra as possible supporting them, so a few of us have numbers drawn on our faces.

I leave the room and grab my phone off the charger. Captain Ryder is in full swing which means we haven't texted much at all, including to talk about Wednesday. I want to bring it up so badly but with everything else going on I don't want to be a distraction. Whatever the other night was talking about it now or later won't make a difference.

I snap a picture showing off the small 8 on my cheek and send it to Ryder. The little things mean more to him than anything else and I hope the picture can calm his nerves just a bit.

Thankfully the guys aren't on the ice so I get a quick response. I really shouldn't be this giddy about a text from the person I talk to basically 24/7 but when his name pops up on my lock screen my fingers move on their own accord to open the message.