Chapter 59

Whoever said lying is bad for your health clearly never had parents like mine

Whoever said lying is bad for your health clearly never had parents like mine. Lying is about the best thing I do for my health, since we all know I neglect it most other ways, like listening to my doctors or not overworking myself.

Me: I can't come home for my birthday, doctor said I will still be on bedrest.

Dad: Fucking quack, what fucking moron did you find?

Me: Islanders told me where to go, not going to argue with them.

Mom: Well I will see if the venue can let us reschedule, this is a huge inconvenience on us Ryder.

I type out am I'm sorry but then I delete. What the fuck was I ever apologizing for? That my broken ribs inconvenienced them? In reality they could come here and visit me for my birthday but then again this morning was the first time they have called or texted since before my injury and I had to reach out first.

I ignore my mom's last text and check the time. I am waiting outside Francesca class on the same bench I sat on just over 2 weeks ago while trying to find her to fix things. A lot has changed in the last two weeks, but it's easily been the best two weeks of my life.

When class is over the 4 roommates walk out in their normal little huddle. Luna, as always, is leading the pack and is first to spot me. She walks over to me while looking over her shoulder to talk to everyone else. "No, I still think my original plan is better," she insists.

"How is that better than stealing all their doors?" Parker argues.

Francesca smiles at me as they approach noticing finally where Luna was leading them. She stands next to me with her arms wrapped around my shoulders as we watch the debate together.

"They can survive without doors but I doubt any of them could survive without toilet paper."

"You'd be surprised," I chime in earning me 4 disgusted looks.

"Fine, toilet paper is out but we aren't stealing doors again that was too heavy," Luna says while munching on her oversized container of Goldfish. I reach toward the container and without hesitation she lets me grab some. Me and Lulu, we fight, a lot, but we also have two shared loves. The first obviously being Francesca and the second being Goldfish.

"I liked Maya's idea with the donuts," Francesca adds.

"Oh I like donuts," I say.

"Not these ones you won't babe," she tells me while leaning down to kiss my cheek.

"Oh, never mind then."

"Should we even be talking about this in front of the enemy?" Luna asks, eyeing me suspiciously but never pulling the snack container that is between us away from me.

"You're just bitter I outran you yesterday," I brag and flex a little just to rub it in. Last night's game of tag went until 1am but the first hour was just Luna trying to catch me, she never did and in the end went for Maya, the weakest link.