Chapter 58

"I want to thank you all for a wonderful semester

"I want to thank you all for a wonderful semester. If you have any questions please feel free to email me, I will be answering questions up until the night before the final exam."

The packed room of students who showed up to my final review all clap as I flick to the final slide of my powerpoint. I spot Ryder clapping with the students; he is leaning against the back wall. Normally he would sit but every single seat is full and a few people have even resorted to sitting on the floor.

Students come over to me and begin to thank me and ask me questions but I can see Ryder from the corner of my eye snaking through the crowd. "Thank you again Francesca, you're seriously the only reason I am not going to fail my first semester of college."

"Of course," I say just as Ryder stands behind me and wraps his arm across my chest holding me against him. I feel him kiss the back of my head as I relax against him." Feel free to email me anytime and good luck on the final."

The girl nods and walks off to meet her friends waiting for her. They all giggle when they reunite and I turn around to scold Ryder. "Do you always have that effect on women?"

"And some men," he adds nonchalantly.

I don't dignify him with an answer as I turn back around and talk to a few more students. When the room is finally empty I grab my backpack and we walk to Ryder's car. We are meeting my roommates and all the other boyfriends at Pickles for happy hour and studying. I will be skipping the drinks after the disaster that was Monday but am still going to sit with everyone and study.

"Question?" Ryder asks as he opens my car door.

"Answer," I reply.

"Uh, well Monday you said something and I am trying to be better about communication but you were drunk so I don't know if it is even worth asking about but again trying to be better so I just thought maybe I should bring it up..."

"Ry," I interrupt his nervous rambling. "Say it babe."

Ryder smiles a little at the term. He calls me babe way more than I call him babe but whenever I do use it the corners of his lips tip up into a quick smile. "Well, you said you want to marry me and.. I don't know; I don't know why I am bringing it up now."

"Does that scare you?" I ask, trying to gauge his reaction. Sober Francesca never brings up marriage or serious things like that because frankly we just started dating but also I think I am scared. I am scared his parents have ruined him so badly he never wants to get married. Not that I could blame him but also not something I want looming over my head, for now I just want to enjoy the ignorant bliss.

"A little bit," he admits. He sits in the dark car squeezing the steering wheel. My heart sinks but I think deep down I knew Ryder probably was going to say this. "I want to be a good husband but I'm just worried. I didn't exactly grow up seeing a healthy marriage to go off of. "