Chapter 28 - Another Warden

Three weeks later, my arm is almost healed. It's out of the sling, but still in the plaster.

Jesse Waldock: "Again, I have never had a fracture or broken bone so please excuse any inaccuracy."

Kenshirou: "It seems Ichijou has been suspended."

Momoko: "Yes. Please inform everyone that the next meeting will take place after his return."

Kenshirou: "Understood."

Jinx: "Wait, the rabbit's been suspended? Hehe."

Momoko: "What's funny, 33?"

Jinx: "Huh? Oh, nothing."

Kenshirou: "Uhm... Warden, if I may ask... why is number 33 sitting on your lap?"

Momoko: "I figured she could use a break from being surrounded by boys. So I offered to take care of her for a while. Call it girl time."

Jinx: "Girl time!"

Momoko: "Anyway, Kenshirou, everyone must be in attendance at the meeting this time."

Kenshirou: "Does that mean that... the contents are just that important?"

Momoko: "Yes. Seems those people have finally begun to move. Our superiors, the organization that founded Nanba prison. The World Administration Authority, 'Cause'."

Jinx: "Huh...?"

Kenshirou: "I knew it... so that's how it is."

Momoko: "After Enki's escape and the incident with number 15 from before, it seems these incidents can no longer be seen as our problem alone... on the contrary, perhaps they're trying to say that they can't leave things to me... Maybe that's to be expected. We failed to catch number 610 because of my carelessness in the past. And now Enki Goku escaped while I was absent... There's no helping it if they lose faith in me."

Jinx: "But that's—"

Kenshirou: "That's not... you're not responsible for that, Warden! It just means that it was beyond our power... it isn't something that you should have to worry about!"

Jinx: "None of it was your fault, Momoko..."

Momoko: "Thank you, 33. It's alright, Kenshirou. You all have done enough for Nanba. This is my responsibility as your superior. You all are my pride and joy, even now."

She was smiling, yet there was sorrow in it. Kenshirou left. I could hear him outside the door.

Kenshirou: "I... I will protect you, no matter what. So that you never show that kind of smile ever again. No matter what."

Jinx: "*sigh*... He really cares about you, Momoko... we all do."

Momoko: "You're a sweet child, 33. I care about you all too."

Jinx: "Hey, by the way, who's number 610? I've never heard of him."

Momoko: "Oh, uh- he's nothing you need to concern yourself about, dear. He's no longer here at Nanba... unfortunately."

Jinx: "Hm...... what's 'Cause'?"

She smiled and pet my head.

Momoko: "You're just full of questions today, aren't you?"