Chapter 43 - A Warning & A Promise

Musashi: "You sound serious, kid."

Jinx: "I am."

Musashi: "Okay, what do you need to tell me."

Jinx: "Well, I wanted to tell Jyugo as well, but I guess I'll do that later when he's awake. Because it's about both of you."

Musashi: "...?"

Jinx: "A while back, I spent a day with Mo- with the warden. While I was there, she got an unexpected visitor. The warden of the Women's Nanba prison."

Musashi: "Ah, so you figured out about that place after all."

Jinx: "Mhm... anyway, he said something that... that..."

Jinx: "Momoko... I don't want Jyugo and Musashi to hurt each other again..."

Momoko: "*sigh* I'm sorry, dear... I'm afraid there's just not much I can do about that... if the order came from 'Cause'."

Jinx: "But- but-!"

Momoko: "Hey, it's alright. Listen, if it makes you feel better. I'll allow you to tell 15 and 634 what you heard about them today."

My eyes filled with tears as I hesitated again.

Musashi: "I can tell that whatever this is, you've been beating yourself up about it ever since. You can tell me. You don't have to keep it to yourself anymore."

Jinx: "...... He told the warden... to force you and Jyugo......... to fight."

Musashi: "...!"

The tears in my eyes began falling down my cheeks.

Jinx: "I don't understand why! But he said she can't disobey an order from her superiors! I know for sure that I as an inmate was never supposed to hear that, but ever since I did, I've been scared for the both of you! And when Jyugo said he wanted to come see you, I wanted to as well! Not to discuss the man with the scar, but just so I could watch you and... and keep you both safe... Safe from each other!"

Musashi: "Jinx-"

Jinx: "I don't want you to hurt each other again, Musashi!"

Musashi lifted me into his lap and gently rubbed my back as I sobbed into his chest.

Musashi: "Listen, kid... I know this might be hard to believe considering I've already tried to kill him twice, but I'm not going to hurt your brother again... I meant what I said. No matter what happens, I'll always be on his side... and yours. And I don't care what that other warden said. I always keep my word."

His sincere words and his warmth were comforting.

Jinx: "Y-you... you promise?"

Musashi: "Yeah, I do."

Jyugo: "I do too."

I turned to see Jyugo awake and sitting up.

Jinx: "Jyugo! How... how much did you...?"

Jyugo: "I heard it all..."

He held out his arms. I got up and hug him.

Jyugo: "I'm sorry."

Jinx: "No, I'm sorry... I should have told you the truth sooner."

Musashi stood up and put his hands on our heads.

Musashi: "You two... she's really taken after you, Jyugo. Now that we've established, we're not going to try and kill each other again, we still have some time. How about a story?"

Jinx: "A story?"

Musashi: "Yeah. Of when your brother and I were cellmates. And I guarantee that this one will put a smile back on your face."

I nodded.