Chapter 29 - Cover Story

I covered my mouth.

Jinx: 'The hell is he talking about...?'

Momoko: "Let the monsters fight... you say?"

Shin: "Seems they don't have enough data on building 13's number 15 and building 4's number 634 either."

My eyes widened.

Shin: "In other words, they want you to send em the data you get on those two as well."

Jinx: 'That's it!'

I took off my inmate badge and put it in my pocket. I then made sure my prisoner tattoo was hidden.

Jinx: 'You've just crossed the line, bastard!'

Momoko: "Is that really a directive from the higher ups?! We've never once received any orders like that before. It's like we're conducting an experiment-!"

I ran out of cover and charged towards Shin.

Shin: "What the-!"

Momoko caught me and picked me up. She then whispered so only I could hear.

Momoko: "What are you doing out here, 33? I told you to stay put."

Jinx: "I'm sorry, but this guy pissed me off. What does he want with Jyugo and Musashi?"

Momoko: "That's what I intend to find out, dear. Listen, he can't know you're an inmate here, so follow my lead."

Shin: "Miss Momoko, I thought we were alone."

Momoko: "Apologies. This is Jinx, my niece. I'm looking after her today."

Shin: "Niece? Hm... I wasn't aware you have siblings. Perhaps she should wait outside with our dogs."

Momoko: "It's quite alright. She's no harm."

Shin: "If you say so..."

He said unbelievingly as I was giving him a death glare.

Shin: "Now, where were we? Miss Momoko, didn't I tell you that we can't disobey our superiors? Moreover, you've got no right to tell them your opinion right now."

I gripped Momoko's shoulder. She whispered to me.

Momoko: "Calm down. I'm going to sort this out."

Shin: "Crime continues to rise with each passing day. There's a disproportionate amount of incarcerated criminals compared to the amount of people managing them. Because of the lack of surveillance in all the prisons and juvenile detention centres, riots and prison breaks are causing injuries so severe that they've even resulted in death. The frequency with which the world's prisons have had trouble with a lack of surveillance is causing society to lose faith in em. What arose from this situation was The World Administration Authority, 'Cause'. The goal of their organization is absolute control. And what they created was this very Nanba Prison, the greatest of prisons, unbound by any country or law. Regardless of age, nationality or charges, everyone is screened and taken into custody via 'Cause'."

Jinx: 'This guy likes to go on, doesn't he?'

Shin: "You could even say that all the inmates and prisons of the world are now under their control. And we're going to be monitoring those who were selected. That's all it is. It's a big mistake to think of it as irrational or illegal. If we left this place, then everything we'd do would be decided by the will of 'Cause'. Don't forget that we'd be controlled by them again."

Momoko: "I get it. I'll accept those orders. But allow me to choose the method."

Shin: "Go right ahead. So long as those guys fight, anything's fine."

Momoko sat me on her desk and stroked my head.

Jinx: "Momoko... they can't..."

Momoko: "I'm sorry, child... if it's the will of 'Cause'... I have no choice but to obey."

Shin: "Alright, now that we've got the serous talks out of the way, how about we finally have some relaxing teatime?"

Suddenly, we all head rumbling from above. I could hear exactly what was happening up there.

Momoko: "What's that sound?"

Jinx: "Kenshirou got mad at that other guy and now they're fighting on the roofs."

Shin: "How would you know that?"

I scowled at him.

Jinx: "Lucky guess."

Shin: "Hm. Seems our dogs don't get along. We've both got our share of troubles keeping hot blooded pets around, huh?"

....................................

Shin: "Hm, Like I thought, a dance right after tea time is the way to go. You think so too, right, Miss Momoko?"

Momoko: "If you've no further business, then hurry up and leave! You're pissing me off!"

Shin: "Hey now, to reject a dance from a magnificently handsome and perfect prince such as myself... No need to be so bashful, Miss Momoko."

Jinx: 'This clueless asshole.'

Momoko: "I've got no interest in guys like you! And who're you calling bashful?!"

Shin: "Honestly, you Japanese women sure ain't honest, are you? Don't tell me you've already fallen for someone?"

Her face went bright red, and she started sweating.

Shin: "Oh, you have!"

Jinx: "You're kinda easy to read, Mo- I mean, Aunty."

She turned away from him, clearly flustered.

Momoko: "Th-that's none of your business!"

Shin: "Hearing you say that only makes me more curious. I really wanna know just what kind of guy could make you of all people fall for him. There's no way he's better than me, right?"

Hajime: "Pardon the intrusion."

Jinx: 'Oh shit!'

I jumped back down behind Momoko's desk, hoping Hajime didn't see me. I didn't want him calling me 33 in front of Shin.

Hajime: "Warden, I've completed the documents you requested the other day. Please have a look at them."

Shin: "Hah? Who the hell are you? Can't you see we're in the middle of something? We're having a secret talk between ward-"

WACK!

Shin: "ARGH-!"

Momoko: "Ha-Hajime Sugoroku...!! G- g- good work!"

I tried to muffle my laughing.

Hajime: "Here you are."

Momoko: "I-indeed, I'll look over them."

Hajime: "Very well, then I'll be taking my leave."

He left and I came out from behind her desk, still giggling.

Shin: "What was with that guy, Miss Momoko?! He's got no manners at all! Hey, are you listening?! You should hurry up and fire that gori..."

He froze when he saw Momoko falling head over heels over the papers he just gave her.

Jinx: "Yeah, I wouldn't talk bad about Hajime around her if I were you. Unless you wanna be seriously maimed."