Chapter 38

Saturday

"So tell me the plan one more time"

"The guys are coming over after practice and we're gonna talk everything out. That's it. I don't know why you're making it seem so elaborate" I laughed. My dad is so dramatic sometimes.

¨And that's it, just chatting?"

"Yes"

"Alright well then don't destroy the house. I'm going out tonight."

"Going out? As in a date?" I asked. I saw a grin forming on his face. "It is a date!" I gasped

"Yes it's a date"

"Oh my goodness! Yay! This is so great! With who? Did you smooth things over with Lucille and finally ask her out?"

"Um well—"

A knock at the door interrupted him. "I'll grab it" I told him. I got off the couch and walked over to the door. "Oh, hi Lucille! We were just talking about you, weren't we dad?"

"Y/n you can go to your room and find something to do" my dad said trying to dismiss me

"Yeah right, I'm not a five year old. Besides, if I went to my room I'd still be able to hear you anyways. I'll just sit over here"

He rolled his eyes at me, knowing I wasn't going to leave. "Morning"

"Good Morning Jeffrey" she said as she stood in the doorway

"How are you?"

"I'm good, doing good." She nodded. "And you?"

"Nothing to complain about so I guess that's pretty good. How's the boy?"

"Oh Daniel's fine. Always out training or with his girlfriend. You know how it is" she said motioning to me

"Yeah definitely". What is wrong with them? "So...not that I don't love when you stop by, but was there a reason for this visit?" He asked

"Oh right, yes there was. I was wondering if you were doing anything tonight. Maybe we could try out that new restaurant on the corner near that bowling alley?"

Oh so I guess he didn't ask her out. Well. This is extremely awkward. "As lovely as that sounds, I actually have plans tonight"

"Of course you do. Well nevermind then" she said and quickly turned on her heels to go back to her apartment

"We can do something another time or we could do breakfast? Denny's? IHOP?" He called out into the hallway, but Lucille had already shut her door. He sighed loudly before shutting our door and walking back to his seat. "Alright let's hear it. Dad, you're so old. Dad that was so hard to watch"

"I wasn't going to say that. Did I think it? Yes. But I wasn't going to say anything."

"As you probably know by now I'm not going out with Lucile tonight."

"So who are you going out with?"

"A lady I met while I was grocery shopping. Her name's Lydia, she has a daughter around your age. She probably goes to your school. We're gonna go out for drinks"

"Nice, very nice. And did you approach her or did she come up to you?"

"I went up to her"

"Really?? Striking first, I like that. Ok so tell me everything. How'd you ask her? What does she look like? What's her situation?"

"Do you really care?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are you being genuine or do you just wanna know so you can make fun of me"