Chapter Seven

Seven-

Every year the seniors participate in something called Nerf Wars.

It's where all the seniors get Nerf guns and they get to skip most of school and go around the county and they have to shoot each other. The last one standing wins.

Of course we have one class, and of course that class is math, with Mrs.Krause, who is the school's bitchiest teacher. Every student agrees, even some of my other teachers agree.

Of course my phone goes off, right in the middle of a lecture.

All eyes go to me, and Mrs.Krause sends me a murderous glare. "Are you going to answer that Mr.Daniel?"

Gulping, I shake my head. It stops ringing, before starting right back up. "I suggest you answer it."

I take out my phone and see it's my Dad, who's watching Skylar. My heart begins to pound in my chest. "Is something wrong?" I ask him without greeting and concern laced through my words. I am well aware of all the eyes on me, including Crystal's. Her state is intense and questioning.

"I'm sorry to bother you at school, but we have a situation."

I grip the side of the desk out of nervousness. "What kind of situation? Is Skylar okay?"

"Oh, yeah, she's fine, it's nothing like that. I got called into work and need you to come and get her." I let out the breath I was holding in relief. Thank god.

"I can't leave school Dad." I look up to see Mrs.Krause behind her desk, impatiently waiting for me to get off the phone. "Okay, I'll be there in ten minutes."

I hang up without saying goodbye and walk up to Mrs.Krause's desk. "I need to leave."

"And why is that?" She folds her arms across her chest and stands up taller.

I look around to make sure no one is listening before leaning in and whispering, "my dad needs me to pick up my daughter."

She scoffs. "You don't have a daughter."

"Yeah, I do, and I need to go pick her up."

"Sit down right now or you are going to have to take it up with the principal."

The familiar ding appears, signaling announcement. "Mrs.Krause, can you send Colton Daniel to the office prepared to leave. Thank you."

I give her a smug look before grabbing my stuff and leaving her classroom. Dad is waiting in the office, Skylar beside him.

"Sorry son, she's being fussy and I really have to go."

With a hug goodbye, Dad leaves. I pick up Skylar. "What's wrong huh?" I then realize a strong odor is coming from her, specifically from her lower region. "Ewe Sky, you stink. No wonder you're so grumpy."

Before leaving the office, one of the ladies stop me. "You're father informed us of your situation. We plan on telling all your teachers and give you special uses of your phone to keep in contact with whoever is watching her."

I half-smile before saying, "thanks."

"Oh, and you can still participate in Nerf Wars, here's your gun," she hands me a plastic gun full of bullets. "Just look over the rules on our website and we'll inform your classmates to keep it fair. Good luck." This time I give her a real smile, showing teeth and all, before leaving the office.

The rules are pretty simple. All the seniors that are passing all classes get to participate. You have to stay within the county and wear this special vest thing that shows if you were shot or not. You're disqualified if you take it off. On the school Twitter you can see who's still in. The last one standing wins. Last year it went on until two in the morning, this football player winning. You get a trophy at the assembly the next day.