Chapter Ten

Ten-

Things just got a lot more complicated.

It started Monday. Crystal was giving me the cold shoulder, per usual, and I hadn't spoken to Trinity since our visit. Dawn texted me Tuesday and said Meet me at Starbucks ASAP. So I went. It went a little like this:

"How are you doing Colton?"

"Good, you?"

"Pretty good. I asked you here today because there's a... complication with the adoption."

"What kind of complication?"

"Chloe's pregnant."

Imagine my shock. "Tell her I say congratulations."

"I will. Anyways, they backed out of the adoption. I'm not sure what to do since this is all new to me, I've never had a family back out, just the parents that have. I'm sorry Colton, I'll start looking for a new family immediately."

Mom was ecstatic when I told her and kisses Skylar, who at 15 months still hasn't said her first word, all over. It kind of sucks. Kind of.

This morning, Wednesday morning, Trinity texted me. She told me it was an emergency and I need to see her right away. So I did what any sane man would do; I went to her.

It's dark now and I'm standing in front of the hospital I was just at a few days ago, Skylar in my arms. I should have had her elaborated, this is ridiculous. Graduation is tomorrow and Mom would literally kill me if I missed it.

The path to her room seems so familiar, like I've been walking there forever.

To my surprise, and I don't get surprised easily, Crystal is there. Crystal and Trinity and Doctor Logsdon and two police officers. Both Crystal and Trinity look like they've been crying, and Mr.Logsdon has a blank face.

"I'm sorry, this is a private meeting," one of the officers tell me, standing up.

"It's okay, I called him," Trinity says in a small voice.

The officer looks me up and down before sitting back down. I make my way over to Trinity. "What's this about?"

She shakes her head. One of the officers start talking. "I'll catch you up on things. Holly Marie Logsdon was kidnapped from the park on June 27th, 2000. Here's a picture of what she would look like now." The officer hands me a sketch kind of thing. I gasp, not expecting what I saw. "Dr.Logsdon here immediately told us that he saw a girl just like her not too long ago hanging out with his daughter. We brought Crystal into DNA testing and she's a match."

The picture I'm holding is scary accurate. It looks exactly like Crystal, and the baby picture of her taped to the corner is the same baby I see hanging on her wall at home.

"It has to be some kind of mistake," Crystal cries into her hands.

"The report that was put in fifteen years ago was three year old Holly was abducted from the park. She was with her mother, Diane Logsdon, and little sister, Trinity Logsdon. Diane took her attention away from Holly to tend to Trinity and when she looked back, Holly was gone. Witnesses said that they saw a young women give Holly a red sucker and said there was more in her car," at this part Crystal sobs. I know why. She always told me stories about when she was little. When she would get hurt or get lost, her mom always gave her a red sucker. Always. "The car was a black SUV and had a young man driving it. Bethany and Greg Evans match the descriptions perfectly." Her parents.

"This can't be happening," a Crystal mumbles, holding her hands against her ears. Shit.

"Crystal, breath, it's going to be okay," I whisper, rubbing her back in slow circles. She had to have missed her afternoon medication.