Chapter Thirteen

Thirteen-

Crystal moved in with the Logsdon's.

She felt bad for them. They lost both of their kids, and she told me that they should be able to get one back if they could. She's alive. Plus the college she wants to go to is fifteen minutes away from where they live, so she can stay at home her first year of college like she has always wanted.

I'm going to Syracuse University, home of Otto the Orange. Mom was hesitant about letting me go all the way to New York, but I have to get out of here. Not that this is a bad place to live and raise a baby, because it isn't. There's just too many memories. I want a fresh start, just me and my daughter.

Summer is spent working. I have a little saved up. I got a lacrosse scholarship and have to be there by late July. Since I have a child they have me in this special program, which comes with a one bedroom apartment on campus, and they have me on the waiting list for the daycare. It's a lot less cheaper to put her in the on campus daycare they provide than any other daycare.

The day I leave sucks to say the least. Mom's a crying mess and I think Christian is going to love being the oldest in the house. Dad keeps repeating how proud he is of me, and I can tell he's trying not to cry. We're flying there since it's about 2,700 miles away. I don't know how I'm going to get my baby over there, Mom and Dad might drive her over and fly back.

"Call me when you land," mom says, wiping away some tears. I bring her into my arms for a bear hug. She says goodbye to Skylar while I say bye to Dad.

"Please, focus on your schoolwork while you're up there. Girls will be tempting, trust me, but what's important is getting through college so you can provide Skylar with a good life. Can you promise me that?" I nod, totally agreeing. I wasn't planning on dating in college, not wanting to bring random girls around Skylar. She's already confused and fragile enough.

"I promise Dad." I hug him, Christian, and Chelsea bye before climbing into the taxi beside Sky. Mom wanted to drive us but I insisted she not. That would be more emotional than this, which is saying something.

I look down at Skylar, who's restless in her car seat. I'm delaying her nap so she'll hopefully sleep most of the plane ride. I give her a sippy cup full of milk as we sit in the taxi for over two hours to get to LAX. The taxi man, Julio, is a nice man. We chat a bit, I learn he has five kids and one grandchild, and a wife he's madly in love with. Hmm, wouldn't that be nice.

I was really hoping I could say goodbye to Crystal before I left. I told her I'd wait for her outside the airport, but I never got a definite answer on whether or not she's coming or not. I hope she is. It'd be good for Skylar, too.

Julio drops us off and I bid him goodbye before handing him the money I owe. He helps us with the bags and drives away.

I wait ten minutes outside the airport, and then go inside, figuring out that she's not going to show. I can't wait all day; I have a plane to catch.

About an hour later we're through security and all that shit. We grab a bite to eat before finding some seats in the waiting room. Lucky for me there's not a huge huge crowd. This will be Skylar's first time on a plane so hopefully she'll behave.

I was hoping for a scene from romantic movies where the one person you really want comes running through the airport, frantically looking for you. But, of course, that doesn't happen. I understand that Crystal has a life and is busy and all, but she could have at least had the dignity to drive thirty minutes to give me one last kiss.

Thanks to Pinterest I packed a nice travel bag for Skylar. I took her off the iPad for a couple of days so she was ecstatic when I pulled it out and let her play. She got the window seat and I think she enjoyed watching the plane go off and seeing our world get smaller and smaller before it vanishes completely.