Chapter Seventeen

Seventeen-

I work in an office.

I am a paid intern and I help around, get coffee, clean, that kind of stuff, and I also learn how the office runs. Management skills, selling skills, people skills, it's very beneficial.

I work when I'm not at school, so Tuesday's, Thursday's, and sometimes over the weekend, if anyone else in the office is working.

A week before Christmas I'm working more days than usual because we're on winter break. It's cool though, the boss is great, funny, and there's this salesgirl, Polly, who's hilarious and loves to play pranks on everyone in the office. She's great. I got her for Secret Santa and I got her a signed copy of her favorite book. I had to wait in line for two hours, but the look on her face was priceless. I don't know what to say, I'm a people pleaser.

"Have a great Christmas," I tell Polly since the office will be closed the week of Christmas.

"You, too. Are you heading to Cali?" She asks. We're often the last people to leave, just because it takes her a long time to pack up, and I like walking her out to her car.

"Yeah, later tonight." I can't wait to see my parents, and Christian and Chelsea, and the rest of my family. I've always valued family and it sucks being so far away from them. "Are you spending Christmas with your family?"

"We're all headed to my parent's house." She has three sisters and a brother, all adopted, and her parent's have started fostering new kids, so their house is always full.

"Have fun," I reply with a chuckle. With one last wave I climb into my car.

I pick Skylar up and she babbles about daycare, like usual. Maya helped me pick out a special Christmas outfit for her this morning, a red dress with sleeves, green leggings, and black shoes. She put her hair up into pigtails, red ribbons tied to the bottom.

Later, when we're packing, it hits me; this is my first Christmas with Skylar. I feel stupid for not realizing it before.

I'm grateful to have such a well-behaved child. She sits quietly, thumb in mouth, watching Netflix most of the flight, and she naps for a couple of hours. Finding my parents is easy; mom's holding a sign that says Colton & Sky.

Of course Mom goes for Skylar first. "My precious little darling, oh how you've grown," she says in a sing-song voice.

I pick up Chelsea and give her a big squeeze. "How'd you get this big?" I ask in amazement. She giggles and says, "I gwow silly butt."

My room at home is just how I left it, which isn't surprising. I haven't been gone that long.

Right after dinner the doorbell rings. A minute later I'm almost tackled to the ground by a body. I catch her before we both fall. "Oh my god Colton, do you know how to answer your phone anymore?"

With a chuckle I sit her down. "It's good to see you, too Liv."

"Why haven't you called? I have so much to tell you!"

"I've been pretty busy lately." It's true. Between work, school, and raising Skylar, there's little time to talk on the phone.

"It's nice to see you again Olivia, how are your sisters?" Mom asks, giving her a hug.

"Scarlett's loving college, and Penelope started kindergarten." They talk for a few minutes before Olivia sees Skylar and basically attacks her.

We sit on the couch. "I wish I could visit you at college sometime. Sadly, my parent's have already said no numerous times."