Chapter 8

Xander's POV:

I lead Doe through the halls, intentionally avoiding some of the large family portraits where I definitely didn't look my best.

She's bound to see them eventually, but I'll avoid it while I can.

So I took the long way towards the center of this floor to the dining room for some breakfast, despite it being noon.

We'd slept in...a lot.

We were both exhausted from yesterday's events and even then didn't go to bed until late.

Even on top of all that it's very hard to drag myself out of bed when I wake up with her in my arms.

But then they delivered her clothes and had to get out of the room anyway as they set it all up in the closet space I'd cleared for her.

And Mom and Dad had set up a formal re-introduction to the citizens here for Nico and me in a few hours, so I wanted her to know where the main areas of this floor are before I have to be gone for a couple hours.

And, well, that kind of made it so that I had to heal some of the dark hickeys that she'd planted on me the night before.

Only the ones that couldn't be hidden by the dress shirt I'd be wearing.

Regardless of whether or not I was first in line, I was still a prince, and any info on my family's life is something people want in on.

Such a sight could cause some unnecessary hassle, and I'd rather not start up any rumors within the first 24 hours of being here.

"So, have we figured out whether or not the cook here is from the family you had when you were younger?" She asked from my side.

I've talked that family up quite a bit in the stories I've given her.

"Not yet, though I can't imagine any reason why my parents would replace the family we've worked with for centuries."

Many have tried to replace them over the years and all have failed. Brutally.

I took a light hold of her wrist before taking a turn I almost forgot about.

"And they can make anything?" She questioned with hooded eyes as if challenging the word.

"Anything you could possibly think of, they'll be able to make," I assured her.

She straightened her stance as if she was getting ready to see it for herself.

And I just smiled, knowing that she'll be more than pleased with the result.

I pushed open the doors into the tavern-like dining room, the spacious area filled with different shapes and styles of tables for the staff.

Many of which were here, most likely for lunch.

All of the boys turned and looked, most of which shying away immediately after realizing who I was.

I knew working on this floor was considered a nice getaway for them since Nico and I didn't live here, but now that we do...

I turned my head to the left, finding the bar that jutted out in a half-hexagonal shape, giving the cook their own space, as well as protecting the doors that lead back into the actual kitchen.

Spotting a woman there, I didn't waste time to go over there and meet her.

Doe fell a bit behind as she took it all in.

The older lady's head turned, eyes lighting up at the sight of us approaching.

"Prince Alexander," She greeted as if finally seeing an old friend, "It's a pleasure to finally meet you," she said with an incline of her head.