Chapter 32

A/N: the in-between of that's smut scene is available on my Patreon 🥴.  Link in my bio

Xander's POV:

I was the first to wake up, only having gotten about four hours of sleep total.

Leaving me just... holding her during the hours my body stayed wide awake after I'd situated us into the clean side of the bed.

And again ever since I woke up about two hours ago.

My body showed the exact changes that I was so worried about.

The solid, undeniable, and unfightable statement that that I was so far gone for her.

I thought I might have been able to accomplish all of that while still convincing myself that there was no deeper meaning from her end, even though I knew there was on mine.

But then she bit me. She drew my blood on multiple accounts, giving me in the only way she could, the reciprocation I'd been craving.

Though I knew that wasn't her intention, my body took it with no hesitation.

She gave me everything a vampire could have hoped for in such a situation where I loved her as much as I did.

I was done for.

I thought I had such a tight grip on the situation, only to lose it so early on.

And every second after just tightening and tightening that connection my instincts tied to her.

Nothing except her own words of rejection would sever it now.

Fuck...

I kept my deep breath silent, ever so softly stringing my fingers through her hair.

Feeling the warmth of the skin on her back through my other hand.

To think I came so close at certain points to letting my true, hidden feelings slip out

To let my hold on myself slip in order to enjoy the moment with her to the fullest.

Coming so close to spilling the words pleading to be let out. The ones she was coaxing out of me whether she knew it or not.

I love you. I love you I love you I love you!

The ache in my chest was so much worse now the more I thought about it.

My body believed her to be mine in every sense of the word, and that was now fighting with the knowledge that she wasn't.

Not in the way my body was now convinced of.

So here I was again, constantly battling my own instincts that were now so sure that they were right, and punishing me for not agreeing to the fullest.

I wanted to. Words couldn't describe how much I wanted to, but I just... can't.

My eyes turned down to her as she shifted a bit in my grasp, a tiny, groggy sound sprouting from her throat.

I listened, hearing the first signs of her starting to wake up.

At 10:23 am no less. Honestly, I expected her to be out for longer.

The hand on her back began tracing circles into her skin, welcoming her into consciousness.

Her back straightened, eyes scrunching as she began her morning stretch.

Though, it cut off about midway through, her eyes blinking open, but staying narrow in confusion.

Confusion that quickly turned into discomfort.

Ah right. Humans and their soreness.

I hoped that the bath and the salts that I added to it would have helped a little in solving that issue, but it looked like she may need another trip.