Chapter 23

Doe's POV:

"That game was not nice to you in the slightest," I said, stepping back into our room while Xander held the door.

"That game isn't nice to most," He added, stepping in behind me.

We played quite a few times and ever continued after our food was ready.

And Xander didn't win a single time.

Though, every time I managed to win, he reacted as if the win was his also.

Getting all excited and rubbing it in Nico's face.

The dork.

Well, both of them and their competitivity that only seemed to spark between their brother.

I paused a few steps in, watching Xander head over to the desk to put down the book he insisted we stop by and get.

"So has Khloe always looked at Nico like that, or have I missed something?" He started up.

Which got me thinking.

I definitely noticed the way she just melts into perfect contentedness whenever he shows up.

She was normally an easy-going and joyful person, but she just became another level of that when Nico showed up.

I noticed it but never considered anything further.

I just assumed it was something similar to how I got when Xander showed up, though I was a little more guarded in how I showed it.

Or... didn't show it... to them at least.

"I guess it's moderately new, or just easier to see now that we live here."

"But you have noticed it?" he pushed.

Confused as to where he was going with this, I nodded.

But he didn't give me anything to further understand it, just gave a little huh before returning his steps closer to me.

Which reminded me... Now that we were alone.

I held my hand out to him.

"Hold this," I repeated for the third time today.

Except this one was the most important.

He blinked once at my offer, taking a side step and awkwardly twisting his wrist to get the angle that he wanted.

Large fingers traced over the underside of my wrist and kept going until he could interlock our fingers.

The shudder I immediately had to fight off the second the contact started reminded me just how different he was from everybody else.

The second his hand was secure around mine there wasn't just that ease in familiarity alone, it was like a sign to the rest of me that I could relax. Completely let my guard down because with him nothing could reach me.

He's got me.

Not to mention the slight kickstart to my heartbeat, and the almost expectant pressure in my chest.

The urge to get closer, like just holding his hand wasn't enough.

Absolutely nothing like the others.

As I knew and expected, but the reminder was still extra solidification in the matter.

"So, does this mean you're gonna come with me into the closet to switch out these clothes?" He teased, causing me to look up from our hands to see the matching look on his face.