Chapter 37

Doe's POV:

Lily made the bagels into breakfast sandwiches and packed them into the basket she put together.

Along with a tall pitcher of water, some banana chocolate muffins, and some mixed berries for us to snack on.

She'd even packed some plates to set our things and the blanket that we currently sat on.

Xander cleared away the perfect spot for it all to fit, having us sit hidden in the grass, but still able to see what passed through here.

Though my focus shifted between that and Xander very often.

Still looking for those little clues.

And well, there were a lot of them.

We sat side by side facing the pond, one kind of leaning on the other as we ate.

Noticing that he'd set his hand down very close to where mine supported my weight.

The occasional glances I'd see out of my periphery whenever I watched the birds or dragonflies come near.

The warm tingling I'd feel at the sight of it now that I could give that feeling a name.

My hand inched to close the distance, but I resisted.

I wanted him to do it. To initiate it.

I wanted to be sure that I knew what was really going on.

If he really did... love me.

I had many signs pointing yes, but these few hangups were stopping me from pressing it any harder.

"I wrote a letter to the shop I got you from," he spoke, keeping his voice down as to not scare away any animals nearby.

I drew back, confused at his words.

And at the strange topic.

"For what?"

He tossed a blueberry into his mouth.

"I wanted to see if they had any registry of who your parents were. If they had records going far enough back to be able to tie you to a last name."

I blinked at him, surprised by what he was saying.

But then I found myself somewhat grateful for his attempt to connect me to a name that truly meant something about a family I never got to have.

Like everyone else's did.

"Just to broaden your options, I mean," There was a slight pinch in his hurried words, "If you don't like it, obviously you don't have to take it, but it figured that-"

He stopped when I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"Thank you," I said, "I appreciate that."

He released a quiet breath, leaning his head over mine and actually closing the distance between our hands.

I had to mask my own relief at his action that I wouldn't have thought much about if Khloe hadn't walked me through all of this.

My eyes strayed when ducks flew by over head, landing with an impressive skid into the pond ahead of us.

I reached for a handful of fruit as they interacted, watching the white duck chase around the darker spotted one, quacking away.

The chase continued for several minutes, the brown one yelling and flapping its wings whenever the other one drew near.

Xander laughed quietly beside me, answering my question before I could ask it.

"He's trying to romance her," he told, immediately making me watch closer.