Chapter 21

Xander's POV:

The smell of old leather and wood welcomed me into the library.

I'd just finished reading and revamping an old treaty of ours. One between the wild vampire pack that Mom and Dad lets reside in the northernmost part of the territory.

A rewrite happens every 100 years and needs to get approval from both sides.

And since there had been some incidents I've read through recently, I made sure to check and add in some fine print to make sure that those get avoided going further.

I just happened to finish quicker than I was expecting and just wanted to check something real quick before hunting down Doe for lunch.

A topic that's been nagging me from the back of my brain ever since I remembered it a few days ago.

I remembered reading something about a human scientist turned vampire in one of these books, and just wanted to see if I could find anything further on the subject.

I glanced down the shelves, moving towards the non-fiction section.

It was a minor mention of it. So much so that I nearly forgot about it completely and had to wrack my brain for any semblance of a name to start with.

Rigs... something Rigs.

Winston..? No. Wyatt..? Bigger no.

My eyes narrowed in thought, a familiar scent throwing all focus out the window.

Nico...?

Oh, my annoying younger brother senses were tingling.

I quieted my steps and made a quick detour.

I rarely if ever saw Nico in here. I didn't even think he remembered that this place existed.

His back was to me when he finally came into view, hunched over a book that sat on a large table.

He looked to be in deep concentration.

And, well, it was basically my job to ruin that for him.

My birthright if I may.

Those mischievous tendencies towards him I thought I'd lost over in Brownyn's territory re-appeared as I stalked my way closer.

He must really be focusing for him not to have noticed me yet.

Nico was nearly impossible to sneak upon.

I did freeze mid-step the second I saw him move.

He shut the book in front of him, dropping his head into his hands and then running them through his hair.

His shoulders dropped with a long sigh.

Huh... This was new.

I didn't know exactly what kind of work Dad's been giving him, but the transition might be stressful.

Well, then I'll drag him off to have lunch with me and the girls and he can get back to it after.

I closed in on him, seeing him perk up at the notice of my arrival just a second before I touched him.

I walked my fingers from the top of his shoulders, slowly sliding them down his chest.

Something quite a few of the women that tried to get with him would do seconds after meeting him,
before we left and something I knew he absolutely hated.

"Hello my love," I copied the tone exactly as well", immediately having him jerk away.

"Jesus Christ, Xander," He exclaimed, whipping to face me, "have you ever heard of personal space?"