Chapter 64

Doe's POV:

I was so. Unbelievably. Sore.

I've been sore before after a night similar to last night's, but not like this.

Why the hell were my shoulders of all things sore?

Tearing myself out of an admittedly nice night's sleep and getting ready was easy compared to making my way to breakfast and sitting down while masking the fact that my legs were screaming at me.

I didn't need Khloe noticing and asking what had happened to me since she was supposedly the last one that I saw last night.

Or any of the other slaves here that always peeked as soon as I walked through the doors.

I noticed Austin among them and really didn't want him saying anything to me in general.

I think Lily noticed... or just had some weird intuition to give me the same herbal iced tea with breakfast the last time I mentioned that I was sore.

...I hoped she didn't know why.

Whatever. I enjoyed my tea and toast, chatting idly with Khloe and Nico.

Or just Khloe... Nico looked to be somewhere else. Mentally at least.

Actually, they were both a little off...

Oh my god did they get in a fight or something?

They were fine last night... What could they have fought about between then and now?

"Did Xander mention a time that he should be back?" Khloe spoke, snapping me out of my thoughts before they got too dramatic, "Since Nico couldn't give me a straight answer back when he was the one who was going to go."

Nico's eyes turned away from the door they'd been frequently checking, giving her a little smile that crushed my previous idea.

Thank god... but also why else are they being weird?

"He said around mid-afternoon. 3:30 to 4ish." I replied.

I hoped it was accurate, and after our little romp last night I wanted to really dig into how the trip went for him.

"How do you think he did- er, will do? I mean, was he nervous about it at all?"

I found her questions kind of sweet.

I think she may feel a little guilty that Nico pushed it onto him so suddenly.

"I don't think he really had... time to be nervous," I answered with an amused smile, "We didn't get to talk about it much since he had to hurry and pack, but I think he'll do fine."

I hoped.

I couldn't forget that tense expression he held when I asked about it last night.

It better go well or else I'm marching to that clan myself.

"Something like this is what he's been wanting so even though it was last minute, He was at least mentally prepared."

She nodded, taking another bite of her omelet.

My head rose at the sight of the doors opening, and the dude we'd been waiting for finally walking in to join us.

Who also just didn't look... right.

Marcus had been stressed lately, that much I knew, but this time it was different, and only worsened for a blink of an eye when he saw Nico.

Jeez, what was everybody's deal today?