Chapter 67

Xander's POV:

"Good job with the trip by the way. I was finally able to read through the report."

I glanced up at my brother who was sitting across from me in the library, surrounded by stacked books full of god knows what in relation to the situation he's found himself in and I've volunteered to assist with.

I don't know what the hell books could hold to help us out with this surely unnatural situation, but the thought occurred to me that maybe he was just looking for a way to fill his time instead while entrusting the girls with Marcus.

Instead of what? Thinking about this? Facing it?

It's not like I could expect him to, but he wasn't typically like this.

And now bringing this up...

"Thanks," I started with an air of confusion. Though if he wanted a distraction, then I could talk about that, "It went differently than I imagined. I'm fairly certain that the entire thing was specially planned for you to go."

"What, they wanted specifically me so they could beg me to allow their time here to stay once I marry?" He spoke with that dull tone he always took with him.

I tapped my finger against my knees, not that he could see.

How was I supposed to approach this in a way that was going to get through his stubborn skull?

"Not... quite. There were just some things I think you were supposed to see before you marry." I settled with.

He gave me the comfort of at least lifting a brow to tell me he was actually listening, and not zoning out like he would whenever our parents brought up this topic.

"I'll go with you if you want," I offered, "But there's just something I need you to see before you make a final decision about them once you do take the throne."

"With the amount of our humans they've endangered, I don't see what could possibly need to be discussed."

"I-I know," I couldn't exactly try to justify that by admitting our dear old grampa was trying his best..., "Just... please."

My topics were convincing without just straight up admitting I'd found out Mom's familiar background and subsequently our own were limited.

Now wasn't exactly the time. He was being weird enough with the twists he was already trying to deal with.

He just looked at me with questioning, but not quite dismissive eyes.

I didn't get to see it for long, not when my head instinctively turned at the sound of the door opening from behind the bookshelves we were hidden behind, and a voice calling out.

"Xander?"

Khloe?!

My head whipped back to my brother, his eyes rounded to a near-impossible extent at the sound of her voice.

He paled to an extent I'd never seen, looking almost like he was about to vomit.

What the..?

Whatever, I wasn't going to wait for an answer out of him, nor a go-ahead given that this was the first time she'd ever sought me out.

I stood from my chair and rushed around the confinement of shelves, peeking my head out from behind one to spot her.

I didn't know what she could want from me, but I would do whatever she needed.

I owed her a lot.

Plus, I wanted my girlfriend's best friend to feel comfortable around me... and my brother's potential wife if all goes well.