Chapter 2: New bonds

"So... Ya guys want me part of yer team?" Arms crossed, pacing in front of both Naofumi and Raphtalia, Garfiel didn't look at them as he made it look like he was considering something... that something was joining the party.

"I know, I'm amazing and I should be part of the team... But I don't know." Garfiel held his nose up high, as if he wasn't internally begging them to let him join. Naofumi had a bit of an... well... dumbfound face.

'Is this kid for real? He was almost begging us to let him join last night.' he thought.

Raphtailia found herself struggling to hold back her laughter. She found it adorable that he wanted to act this way. "But alas... my hands are tied. I have no idea where I even am, and ya two have been kind t'me so far, so I might wanna repay th't kindness back... or th't would be somethin' th't th'princess would say." Garfiel's mind thought of the silver haired half elf his boss was in love with.

"So I accept your offer!" He finally turned to them with a great, goofy grin on his face as if he believes he was doing them a favor. 

Naofumi let out a sigh.

"Welcome to the team then, Garfiel Tinsel."

Just as Naofumi said this, one of the guards approaches the party to tell them that they are allowed in the castle, since the king had asked to see the four heroes. 

Naofumi and his group entered the castle and made their way towards the throne room.

Once they enter the throne room, the atmosphere instantly becomes hostile with Motoyasu and Malty turning towards Garfiel and giving him an intense glare.

The demi human boy notices this yet shrugs it off, as if he didn't even know who they were, ignoring their presence and mindset on what they think of him. 

The Sword hero and The Bow hero arrive with their respective groups a minute after Naofumi's group had entered the throne room.

The proceedings began while Garfiel's mind started to wander, looking around the throne room. His eyes darted across from the King ('Bastard...'). to Malty ('Bitch') and the other heroes. 

He already wrote them off, but... his distrust of the bitch lightly tick off. It reminded him of someone.

His attention was called back to front when a bag of money was seemingly handed to Naofumi.

"And as agreed upon, I have set aside 500 silvers for the Shield."

Just as it seemed like he was about to get the bag of money, the king said,

"However...Since it's offset by the cost of freeing his slave from her curse, he will receive no funds this time."

Naofumi and Garfiel both instantly looked with disdainful facial expressions. 

They two clearly know that this is unfair and just biased of the king.

"HUUUHHHHHHH? YA GOTTA BE FUCKIN' KIDDIN' ME WITH TH'S BULLSHIT!"

Garfiel shouts as he wants to punch the king in the face. Naofumi agrees with Garfiel but before he could say anything, someone speaks on his behalf.

"I don't think that's going to fly."

Naofumi, Raphtalia, and Garfiel all three turn their attention to the voice to see that it was Itsuki speaking on their behalf.

"He won the duel despite the interference. You decided to dispel...the slave crest, was it? He deserves to be compensated for all his hard work."

"Agreed. You removed the crest without permission, you should pay the price on your own and repay Naofumi."

"Tsk."