Chapter 5: What a Wonderful Day

Naofumi and his party arrive at the capital with Melty having joined them, having requested Naofumi if he could take her to the capital.

He was hesitant but after Garfiel, Raphtalia, and Filo all argued that they should help her, he agreed after they wore him down. They made it there without incident...

(As the rest of the group slept through the night, Naofumi watched over them, mostly keeping watch, as well as working on restocking their medicines and other supplies they needed.

He also kept a close eye on Garfiel, while his poison wasn't worse but it wasn't getting better. He was able to keep it stable by himself, but he needed something more powerful.

"Master Naofumi." This of course came from Raphtaila as she got up to sit next to him.

"Hm." He motioned for her to sit next him, which she did so happily. "Is something wrong?"

"I was just... Well, Is Garfiel going to be-."

"My amazin'll be fine, geez, no need to worry about me! I'm tough!" Came Garfiel's voice as he leaned up himself.

"You didn't have to baby me all day Taila, I was fine."

"I'm just worried about you."

"Alright... Garfiel, she is worried, we all are, that's why we are trying to get back to the capitol. But Raphtaila, he will be fine, so you don't need to worry about him."

"Dadfumi"

"..."

Naofumi without warning smacked the boy in the head, annoyed by what he said. After this happened, they all sat there for a moment, enjoying the night until...

"Oi, where's Melty?"

"Hm? I thought she was with Filo." Raphtalia responded, now worried for the girl's safety. They all start to look before noticing that the young girl's clothes were on the ground next to Filo.

The three of them had a moment of pause before slowly turning towards the sleeping Filo.

"Y-You don't think that..."

"I mean she did want to eat her own kind. It isn't out of the realm of possibilities."

"..."

"..."

"...we saw nothin'" Garfiel said as he turned his attention towards the cart.

"Agreed."

"What? We can't just pretend this didn't happen!" Raphtalia protested to both Naofumi and Garfiel.

"We can and we will."

"Besides, we can't tell the noble that Filo ate her daughter."

"But we can't just keep quiet about this either, Naofumi-sama!"

In the commotion, Filo began to wake up, seeing everyone staring at her with wide eyes.

"Morning everyone, what's wrong?" She asked innocently.

"Filo... where is Melty?"

"Oh she's right here." This worried the trio as they were now really thinking that she just ate Melty without a second thought.

"Time to wake up Mel."

Suddenly, from a spot close to Filo's head, Melty's head popped out, gasping for air a bit as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

"Hmm? What's wrong?"

This made all of them a bit dumbstruck by the sight.

"What're ya doin' there?" Garfiel questioned.