Part 3:- My biggest nightmare

SAANVI MALIK

SAANVI MALIK

Memories! Beautiful memories!

The picture before me filled me up with warmth and love.
I looked at my smiling Papa carrying me on his back while we were posing for a picture beachside. With one hand I held his shoulder and with the other, I made a victory sign with my fingers. Dad's both hands circled backwards to support me on his back.
He had a beaming smile on his face and so did I.

The picture screamed how happy I was with my Papa fives years ago.

For him, I was always a glass doll. He held me with so much care that I never knew life can be this hard. He hid me in his chest, shielding me from all the problems of life.

I remember the days when he would come up with 'Dahi-Cheeni' [curd and sugar] just before my exams or any other important event of my life.

Now when I look back, I realise it was always about me, about my happiness, about my likeness.

"Saan which colour should I wear? " He once asked keeping his navy blue and grey tuxedo in both his hands.

I recall 14 years old me scrunching my nose, "Papa wear pink, I don't like these colours".

He chuckled before saying, " Aye! Aye! Captain. My precious' wish, my command " He parroted, standing in an attention position.

I giggled at him and he soon joined me in giggling.

"Mam, here are the project briefing"  Trisha kept the file on the table before me bringing me out of long memory lane.

" Thank you! " I gave her a small smile to which she nodded and left.

I am Marketing head in "GoodWood" Enterprise owned by my Father Suraj Maalik which deals with furniture.

I was an intern here during my Graduation, and later I was included in the team. After completing my MBA degree I was working here for two years and considering my appreciable performance, I was finally promoted to Head of the team. I am working on the post for about a year now.

When I was young, Dad told me one day, when I will be capable enough, he would hand me his chair that is his position.

And now that is my only dream. Not because I love his property and position but I want to see him proud of me. I want his eyes to light up when he sees me, like before. I want his chest to be puffed with pride when he is called my father like how he wanted.

I opened the file and started reading about the project.

*
After two hours or so finally, I was done with my work. I thought to check up on Suchi. She came back a long ago from her pre-nursery school. Last I heard from Sunidhi, she was playing in the playroom.

I walked to the room adjacent to mine. There, she was sleeping on the couch with one leg and one hand hanging. I quietly sat beside her keeping away her Doraemon colouring book.