➽ T w e n t y - f i v e : Destiny

"I have always believed, and I still believe, that whatever good or bad fortune may come our way we can always give it meaning and transform it into something of value."
-Hermann Hesse

Metallic screeching shocked me awake

Metallic screeching shocked me awake. Somehow I was in my bed and the shutters were beginning their automatic routine of clearing the windows after dusk had settled. With no recollection of how I made it back to my room, I bolted out of bed. The last thing I could remember was going to question the Wicked for Helen. Did he do something to me?

I dressed in all black, wasting no effort on trying to be more presentable when I was stuck feeling like I was missing hours of my memory. As I moved I felt a soreness in my muscles like my whole body had been bruised. I didn't dare look, I needed to get to the bottom of what had happened. 

I opened my door and found Becca with her hand raised to knock. She gave me a light smile of embarrassment. "Hi, Maddie. I was just coming to check on you. You caused quite the commotion last night."

"What do you mean?" I asked, glad that I wouldn't have to hunt down the information. Becca always seemed to know everything that was going on. 

"You really don't remember?" Her eyes widened in shock. "Honey, you strangled the prisoner with your bare hands." 

"Oh my goodness!" My hand covered my mouth, the revelation of what she said making the memories crash back into my mind. 

"You passed out in front of his cell with your hand still around his neck. No one could wake you. Commander Cole ended up carrying you back to your room." Becca fiddled with the ends of her hair while not looking me in the eyes. Did I frighten her?

"I believe he provoked me. It's like he wanted me to do it." I couldn't hide the horror I was feeling. I knew that I wasn't human anymore, but when did I become a monster?

Becca wrapped her arms tightly around me as the first tears began to fall from my eyes. She rubbed my back and made small shushing sounds. "Maddie, it's okay. We're in the middle of a war. You're allowed to be overwhelmed."

"I have a little bit of good news though." She offered while still stroking my back in comforting circles. "There's been an outpouring of supporters coming to the manor to pledge their loyalty to the crown."

"Too bad it took the King's death to make that happen." I replied coldly, still trying to reject the hatred I felt toward myself. 

We stood in silence for a few more moments before I excused myself. I needed to force myself to eat even if my stomach had no intentions of wanting me to do so. Becca looked like she was about to join, but something in my expression made her think better of it. I wanted to be alone. 

On my way, I was interrupted by strangers walking through the front doors as if they owned the property themselves. Without thinking, I quickly stowed behind a corner at the bottom floor.