➽ T h i r t y - t w o : Declaring Loyalty

"Loyalty and devotion lead to bravery. Bravery leads to the spirit of self-sacrifice. The spirit of self-sacrifice creates trust in the power of love."
- Morihei Ueshiba

"- Morihei Ueshiba

Draven's P.O.V.
The heat from the beginning of summer was a welcome change. It was the one time of year where I could feel the leftovers from the sun warm my skin while on duty. However, even with the metamorphosis of a new season coming to greet us, the manor felt listless. Quiet. 

The entire family could feel the absence of Madelyn. I don't think she realized it, but she brought radiant sunshine to everyone she met within the halls. Plus, a lot still haven't recovered from losing two patriarchal members in a short span of time. Not to mention the death of so many of our guards. 

People have started to speculate that there were traitors among us. It wasn't hard to piece together that Harley and Annie had disappeared immediately after the battle. I was worried for Madelyn's safety in a new territory of our oldest enemy. I was told they had accepted her, but did they really? Whose to say that the two traitors wouldn't find their way back to her and betray her again?

I had a hard time with my thoughts, going back and forth on my perturbation. I knew there were plenty of guards where Madelyn was currently staying. I knew that our spies, who were no longer spies, decided to keep their lives within the territory. She was most likely safe. 

Yet, I couldn't relax. Marie's face kept popping up in my dreams, scolding me for not keeping her daughter under my watch. That was how I found myself outside of the Queen's office, poised to knock but unsure if I should. It was with a final haunting of the woman I had loved over a decade ago echoing in my mind that prompted me to move forward with my plans.

I let my knuckles rap against the wood. 

"Enter." An authoritative feminine voice called from behind the closed door. 

"Good evening, Queen Helen." I greeted, as I entered and made my way to the desk without taking a seat.

"Welcome, Draven. Do you have any news to report?" Her eyes stayed focused on the work in front of her, shuffling papers and filing others away in a folder beside her. 

"No, ma'am. There's no information on the possible whereabouts of Harley or Annie. Everything else has been rather quiet as well." I rattled off, growing nervous about what I had come to ask. I stalled further. "There's some concern about the closure of the Project Academy and the council are wanting to get in touch with you." 

Helen rolled her eyes at the mention of the Supernatural Council, from what I understood, they were giving her a rough time. They've been demanding that she set a plan in motion to rebuild but she's been trying to formulate a solution to where none of the academies were necessary.

She stopped her fumbling of paperwork and curled her hands under her chin. The way her golden irises looked at me, I felt instantly exposed. My unease grew stronger.  

"Draven, I have an offer for you. We need a new Commander, and I would like to appoint you." Queen Helen said, staring me down with an intense gaze. 

"Honestly, ma'am I came here to ask for a favor and taking that position would negate my request." I wanted to stand my ground and not be troubled within her assessing eyes, but I still had to look away. Helen held too much knowledge and power in her demeanor. 

"Ask." She replied bluntly, disappointment already covering her facial features.  

"I was hoping you would grant me permission to go to the Cathcart Manor and join Madelyn. To keep her safe and have someone we trust to keep an eye on things." My words were not as steady as I wished they would be, but at the mention of Marie's daughter, Helen's face softened. 

The Queen pondered, evaluating the idea of having me as a personal guard for a woman she had grown to adore just as much as she did Marie and the loss of another senior member of her force. I took the time to note that she was looking more like the impressive Queen I had followed most of my life. The shadows of grief were still etched deeply in the pits of her pupils, but she was coming back into her regal etiquette. I was extremely proud to have served her for as long as I have. 

"This is a difficult position you've placed me in." She finally concluded, drawing her hands back to the smooth exterior of the desk. Helen gave a thrum of her fingers against the surface. "Madelyn is very special. Not only to myself as a family member but I have a feeling she will be important to our entire realm. Theodora spoke to me about it before she left."

"The Pixie?" I questioned, eyebrow raising in confusion. How would she know?

"Yes. She has an affinity for destinies and futures."  Helen pulled a thick document from a top drawer, the scent of old parchment tickled my nose. "I believe you may be right. It could be in our best interest to keep a close eye from home on not only Madelyn's new leadership, but on her mental wellbeing as well." 

"You're granting my request?" I was baffled, the idea of her agreeing was not something I thought I had a great chance of. 

"I am. As soon as I sign this, you'll be transferred to the Cathcart guard. I can not guarantee you'll receive the same rank but I'm going to request that you be assigned to Madelyn's personal protectors." The Queen tapped the cardstock she pulled from the desk and smiled. 

Her pen swept along the bottom, signing her name in an elegant cursive with all the titles she held. The moment she lifted her connection with the paper, a feeling of uncertainty overcame me. I never thought I would leave the Rothchild's home and I was amazed at how affected I was by two not quite humans, driving me to change my entire routine. 

Helen handed me the letter but didn't let go right away as I went to reach for it. With a stern voice full of power, she ordered, "Keep her safe, Draven." 

That was all I wanted. She released her hold after I nodded. 

"Thank you, my Queen." With a bow of my head and the utmost respect, I declared, "I will show  Madelyn as much loyalty as I have for you." 

With this chapter, I hereby proclaim this book finished! (Other than for editing

With this chapter, I hereby proclaim this book finished! (Other than for editing.) It's been a long (thanks to my six year hiatus) journey and I can't believe it's complete! In the next two weeks I will be taking a small break to refresh my brain. There will be two more parts released in those weeks but they're just small bonuses. A supernatural index and a character list, so keep your eyes out for that! Also, book #2 (Project Royal: Betrayal) will be released on March 27th! Thank you all so much and please honor me with a vote to celebrate this wonderful milestone (a comment would be lovely too!)