➽ T w e n t y ½ : Dear Madelyn

"Someday when the pages of my life end, I know that you will be one of the most beautiful chapters." 
- Unknown

Queen Helen dismissed me with the promise that I would immediately go to my room and read my mothers journal

Queen Helen dismissed me with the promise that I would immediately go to my room and read my mothers journal. I heeded her demand and walked the halls back to my room with no idea what to expect. The folder itself had unlocked so many questions but the journal was for my eyes only. Not a single person read her words other than her. 

When I made it back to my space, I hesitated as much as I could, preparing myself. I laid the journal on my bed and left it sitting there to go shower. I turned the water as hot as my skin could stand and stood there as long as I could before realizing there was no more time to delay. 

With fresh pajamas and wet hair, I tucked myself into the comfort of my blankets and opened to the first page. 

My dearest Madelyn, 

If you're reading this instead of hearing it directly from me, I can only assume that I died before I got to meet you. I've dreamed of meeting you since I was given the ability to have hope and dreams. I'm so sorry for what I'm sure you've been put through, I know all too well what happens at the Academy and sometimes I find myself regretting the fact that I brought you into this world. My only hope is that Queen Helen finds you and brings you home where you belong. I wonder how much you've grown, how smart you've become. Do you look like me? Your father would have loved to meet you too, he was a wonderful man. He meant the world to me. It seems that I'm destined to lose everything. 

I gained some things as well, however. For reasons unknown, I carry a gene unlike any others. A gene that allows me the best qualities of all supernatural beings. I'm without a doubt that you possess the gene as well. I'm writing this journal to help guide you in the event that I am not there to do it myself. 

I love you. I love you as much as a person can love anything. Please forgive me for not being there for you, for not being able to guide you as a mother should. You will do amazing things, I am sure of it. This family needs you now more than ever. Please protect them but most importantly protect yourself. Do not become a weapon. You are still a person, alive with a future ahead of you no matter what it may be. 

The opening letter ended and my face was slick with tears, broken hearted for the mother I never had. I let myself feel the sadness, owning my emotions before continuing on. 

Part One - Control

You'll feel like you've lost it all in the beginning. Keeping control of your new abilities will only come to you once you've accepted them. Then, you'll be able to do things you never imagined possible. Every defect has their own strengths, I'm hoping that yours will stem from mine. I have voices that keep me safe. I have speed that rivals even the fastest being. I have strength, though not as much as I would have liked. These were all easy enough to realize and control came easily. But, did you know that you have access to magic like the Wickeds? Or that you have the aptitude to seduce like a Succubi? These are harder skills to hone but with practice they can become quite useful. If you can, find a master. They can help you more than words on a page. However, knowledge is power and just knowing you have the abilities can open doors you had no idea were there.