➽ T w e n t y - e i g h t : Traitor

"If you look at what you have in life, you'll always have more. If you look at what you don't have in life, you'll never have enough." 
- Oprah Winfrey

Nineteen servile in total found their freedom

Nineteen servile in total found their freedom. Five handlers joined our ranks, thankful to be able to leave that part of their lives behind after taking the job only to make it easier for the servants they were assigned. I couldn't help the dread that pursued me, I had hoped that I would feel more relief in my revenge but I only felt anxious. The jittery nerves of knowing something was coming for us, I just didn't know when or how hard it would hit. 

Queen Helen was forced to come out of her mourning to play politics with the council after they discovered the wreckage. She was feigning innocence, claiming that she had no idea who would be behind such destruction. Helen was sure they didn't believe her but without evidence there was nothing the council could do to condemn her. I could tell that she was pleased with the outcome, her tears drying in public and her distanced eyes came back to her people. 

Word had arrived that Lord Denallsh was livid. His celebrations quickly turned into wrath and vengeance. The device Commander Cold kept on his person spoke of retribution in the worst way. No specific details were dare shared with the people of the Cathcart manor, for fear of the spies he rightfully suspected were in his ranks. Only the promise that was huge and could mean the victory he craves. 

I found myself with a night free of guard duties and with no way to spend it. A lot of the manor was bustling with the new allies and finding places to fit in the people who are choosing to stay with us, which meant a lot of work for the ones I was closest to. I settled for relaxing in the dining room, a hot chocolate steaming from a large mug in my hands. Even with the warm weather, I found the comfort of the sweet heat to be the only thing that settled my mind. 

Night had fallen fast, my lack of sleep kept me from getting a full day's rest. I realized I was sitting in the same chair for hours, long enough to watch the watercolor mixing hues of dusk transcend to the starry spotted darkness. As I was staring out of the windows, I noticed a streak of purple slip into the room. 

"Maddie! I've missed you!" Becca's large frame jogged up to my table, pulling me from my thoughts. The grin on my face was automatic. 

"Becca! I'm really glad you're here." I said as she bent to give me a back crushing hug. "Would you like to join me?" 

"Of course. I'm starving. The gardens are always so busy this time of year. Not to mention all of these new people, the farm hands have requested my help tending to the crops." Becca dropped into the chair opposite of me with her body sagging in exhaustion. 

I slid my plate in front of her, uneaten delicacies tempting her to take a bite. "Help yourself. It may be a little cold, I've been here a while." 

"Having a night off?" She asked, her fingers already picking up a piece of food from the plate and shoving it in her mouth.