Chapter Twenty-Three

Synn lay in bed that night. He wasn't long back from seeing Aurora. He still couldn't sleep however. He looked up at his bare ceiling in a dark room. It was around two in the morning at this stage. His thoughts were running wild, uninvitingly that is. He sat up and reached under his mattress taking out the zip lock bag that still had the cash in it from when Alaric gave it to him. Untouched.

He felt guilty taking the money. No, he felt guilty spending it. He somehow felt that if he used it, he would be betraying Aurora. It was practically her money...almost.

"Hey Synn, can I borrow one of your rings? I heard that girls think they're hot" Riley asked eagerly as he barged into Synns room. Synn fumbled with the money, quickly stuffing it under his mattress again before he turned to look at his younger brother. Well, more like glared. Riley didnt notice, however, as he walked over to the black desk against his wall with a bunch of rings and chains scattered across.

"Don't just barge into my room" Synn snapped, standing up and shutting the door that he left open. Riley still didn't care. "Why do you care about what girls think, anyway? It's not like you'll ever speak to one" Synn asked bitterly, mumbling the last bit so it was left unheard to the young boys ears. Synn leaned against his desk, looking at Riley who was so taken with the rings if his.

"I have a date. There's this girl named Macey and I asked her to go to the cinema with me tomorrow, but I want to look cool so she likes me more. I can't sleep, I've been trying to find an outfit and now I need jewelleryto make me look cool" Riley rambled. He picked up one of the rings, finally, and put it on his finger, but frowned in disappointment when it hung off, far too big. Synn smirked at the sight, shaking his head. Riley sighed and put the ring back down.

"What do I gotta do to make her like me?" The young boy asked sadly. Synn looked at him and cringed. How was he supposed to know? Aurora was the first girl he had a proper conversation with in years and even at that it was usually pretty one sided.

"Dont ask me" Synn grunted moving away from the desk and leaving the room, wanting to get as far away from this conversation as possible. Synn made his way down the dark hallway to the kitchen. He opened the fridge, feeling the coolness brush his warm cheeks. Unfortunately for him, Riley followed after him.

"What do you mean!? You're dating Aurora King!" Riley exclaimed in disbelief as he entered the kitchen. Synn slammed the fridge door and swiftly turned around to look at him.

"I'm not dating her" He growled defensively. Riley's eyebrows shot up and he raised his arms in surrender. Synn sighed, rubbing the stress lines on his forehead.

"I-" Synn paused as he heard the front door opening, followed by a bang. He tensed instantly and looked at Riley who stared at him in horror. Synn motioned with his head to the back door, telling him to leave knowing he wouldn't be able to pass him and get up to his bedroom again. Riley reluctantly did as he asked.

Synn braced himself against the counter, pressing the bottom of his palms into the counter top, head hung low as listened to the heavy, staggered footsteps getting louder. Suddenly, they halted.

"What are you doing here?" A grumbled voice slurred from behind him. Synn clenched his fists on the counter top, feeling his blood begin to pump faster around his body at the vibrations that his voice caused. Synn took a deep breath before pushing away from the counter and turning around to face the man.

"I live here" Synn replied bluntly, trying to show no indication of the turmoil going on in his chest. Synn watched him as he steadied himself against the counter, looking up at Synn with a cutting eye. At Synns response, he lifted his head higher, glaring.

"I meant what are you doing here, as in, still alive on this planet" He spat. Synn took a deep breath. Oh, the urge to kick this man. Synn looked at the clock on the wall opposite, above his head, it reading quarter to four on the morning. His hands were beginning to sting with the tightness of fists. His chest began to hurt with the speed of his heart, and his lip was beginning to bleed with the grip of his teeth. Synn gathered himself and merely began to walk away, though when he came to havibg to pass the man, it wasn't so easy.