Chapter Thirty

"What the fuck were you thinking?" Levi asked once Aurora had left the room. Alaric gritted his teeth, knowing this was gonna be a long conversations, but kept his usual bored expression to hide his irritation for Levi.

"I was thinking the girl needs a break. She hates the whole guards thing. It was the middle of the night, she was emotional and embarrassed, I thought one of us could listen to her for once" Alaric bit back. He was leaning against the counter, one arm folded with his other elbow propped on top, leaning his forehead against his hand.

"That's where you thought wrong, our job isn't to listen to her, its to keep her safe" Levi hissed. He was fuming with Alaric, and how irresponsible he was acting.

"Our job is to be her brothers Levi, not her fucking soldiers"

"We stopped being her brothers years ago. The second I drove a knife through his chest was when she became our responsibility, past a brother and sister relationship" Levi argued confidently. He was leaning against the counter with his two palms pressed firmly into the counter.

"Thats exactly my fucking point. She didn't ask for any of this yet she and Atlas and Axel are the victims of your stupid fucking actions." Alaric stood up straight, taking the same stance as Levi from across the counter. At this point, the island between them was the only thing preventing any violence yet.

"I did what I had to do at the fucking time!" Levi defended.

"You did what would please your ego. You should have discussed it with me or Isaac first" Alaric seethed, clenching his fists on the cold counter top to find some sort of restraint.

"Oh yeah, cause you were such a big help at the time" Levi sneered. "You were too busy moping around in your pathetic garden" He scoffed. Alaric banged the counter, hard. Levis gaze shot towards him.

"I was grieving" He defended in a deadly tone.

"We didn't have time to grieve"

"No, you didn't give us them to grieve! No wonder every single one of us is fucked up. Everything we went through was just swept under the carpet. All the shit the younger ones went through, they didn't even understand any of it and barely got an explanation. We need to take some sort of responsibility here Levi" Alaric tried to reason. Levi turned his head away from him, not liking what he was hearing.

"I am taking responsibility. Its my responsibility to make sure they're safe and provide prote-"

"Not just taking responsibility for their safety. For their happiness too" Alaric cut him off. Levi looked back at him. Alaric features had soften, well, as soft Alarics features get. "I know you want to keep them safe, I do too, but if you continue to look past their happiness, they will rebel. Aurora especially will get sick of it and do shit out of spite. That is when she will be in danger" Levi stared at Alaric as he spoke. He knew he was right. Alairc knew he knew he was right. Levi remained silent however. Alaric took that as a sign, knowing he wasn't going to admit it here and now. He pushed away from the counter and walked out of the room, leaving Levi to his own thoughts.

Alaric made his way upstairs slowly. His shoulder ached from the tense car chase as he rubbed them to try and relieve the burning. He reached the top of his stairs and made his way down the hall. He stopped outside Auroras room and debated whether to go jn and she if she was okay, but as he stilled, he could hear the sound of muffled whimpering and soothing 'shhh's'. He stepped away from the door, knowing who was in there instead and went to his own room.

Synn lay on Auroras bed, arms wrapped around her shaking body. Her head was buried into his chest while his fingers stroked through her hair gently. He thought about her face when he first stepped through her balcony doors. Her bottom lip quivered while she sat up in bed, looking at him as her eyes glossed over. Her cries right now were the only thing preventing him from hunting down the mother fuckers behind the ambush. He would get his revenge, but right now, Aurora need him.