Ineffable Bonds (4)

Let go of me, you bastard! What do you think, you can escape from here? Indian Police isn't that incapable now, is it? - Avni shouted while trying her best to untie the ropes that she was tied with.  

 Who do you think will arrest me? That ACP Neil Khanna? He is just a servant of my father, do you get it? Now if you want to live, just stay quiet. - the guy told her while pointing a gun towards her temple. 

Instead of answering him in words, Avni chuckled looking at him with pure disgust. 

A- You don't know him yet, kid! -she said while rolling her eyes. 

Just as he was about to counter her, a loud thud was heard making Avni smirk while the guy was visibly frightened. 

In a moment, the shutter of the godown in which they were was lifted & Neil came into view the next moment. 

While pointing the gun towards the guy, Neil looked at Avni who was already looking at him. He blinked his eyes in assurance while she gave her a nod, followed by a small smile.

"Drop the gun, or she dies!" -the guy said while untying Avni's hands, all the while the gun was still against her temple. 

N- You sure have a lot of confidence for someone just a college student & that too, charged of a crime as heinous as rape. But only if you could have used it in the right way! 

"Stop giving lectures & drop your gun, or I'll shoot her" -he had already untied Avni & was now holding her by her shoulder, protecting himself by standing behind her. 

A- Neil, don't worry about me. You have to catch him even if it involves risking my life! -she encouraged, making Neil look at her, in the eye. 

In that very moment, their eyes conveyed all the feelings that they felt for each other. Avni's eyes were full of pride that she had in him, while Neil's eyes portrayed fear of losing her, of losing himself!  

"Drop the gun right now!" -he shouted again making Neil even more furious than he already was. 

But before he could do any harm to Avni, a troop of police officers rushed in, some through the main door & some through the windows. The guy & Avni were now completely surrounded by the police. 

N- If I can track your location through your phone, I can also get my team to arrest you & rescue the innocent. -he announced as two policemen held him from behind, thus making him loose his grip on Avni. 

As soon as he left her, she rushed to Neil who held her by her arms, checking her if there was some injury. 

N- Kahin chot toh nhi lagi hai na? You're okay, right? Show me, kahin lagi hai kya? Dard ho rha hai? -he murmured while scrutinizing her hands & arms.

Hearing no response from her, he looked up at her to find her smiling at him. 

N- Why are you smiling, Avni? Does this look funny ? 

A- I am okay. I knew that I'd be okay! -she said while he gave a pointed look at her carelessness.  

"Sir, we'll get him to the station & would make him confess his crime" - an officer came up to Neil while he nodded. 

N- Chalo, I'll drop you home! 

He held her hand & this time, she didn't protested. 

As Neil led her towards the exit, Avni pushed him aside & soon a gun shot was heard followed by the guy's voice. 

"Told you, she won't make alive out of here either!" 

It took a moment for Neil to grasp the situation. Although all of it happened in a moment, to Neil, it all seemed to be in slow motion.