When Life Happens (4)

A/N : Chapter contains mildly mature content. Please skip the part if you're not comfortable. 

______________

Both Neil & Avni avoided each other for the rest of the day as they took some time to sort their own emotions out. Neil left the study & came to his room later than his usual time. Avni knew that he was avoiding her just as she was avoiding him, so she pretended to be in deep slumber when he came back & slept on the window sofa. 

Neil had already left for the University by the time Avni woke up the next morning & she too left for the office at her usual time knowing fully well that she was going to have a long day at work today. She had informed Shweta beforehand. 

It was around nine in the night when Avni could feel knots in her back. She was exhausted & sleepy but there was still half an hour of work left. Preparing herself a coffee, she massaged her neck & forehead a little, and then resumed work. 

It was already ten when she left office & was about to book a cab for herself when she saw Neil's car in front of her office. With confusion & a frown itched on her face, she walked up to his car & knocked at the window. Through the window glass, she could see that he was leaning against the driving seat & had his eyes closed. She knocked again & finally succeeded in gaining his attention. 

She backed away from the car as he opened the gate & got off the car. 

A - What are you doing here? - she asked.

N - It was quite late, so I thought I'll pick you up! - he answered as he fidgeted with his watch.

Avni wasn't expecting this. Growing up with a single mother, she had always acted tough & never really allowed someone to help because she was too afraid that she would get used to it. But it felt nice when Neil showed up. Shweta Mom must have asked him to come! - she reasoned as a sigh left her mouth. 

A - Let's go! - she said as she averted eyes from his face. 

Neil just nodded & sat back in the driver seat while she settled in the passenger seat. Avni had leaned against the seat as she felt exhaustion rushing in from the tiring day at work. Neil glanced at her once & then passed her a small packet. 

 A - What is it? - she asked as she looked at the packet confusedly. 

N - I figured you'd be starving. So, picked up a burger & some fries on my way here! Eat. - he spoke as he put the packet in her lap & started the car engine. 

Avni did not say anything. She didn't know what to say & how to say. His simple gesture meant a lot to her, she had never been taken care of apart from her mother. And, to have someone doing all these small yet thoughtful things for her was just overwhelming. 

It was beyond Neil's mind how edgy he had been when he didn't find Avni home after he woke up from his nap. He had become habitual of waking up from his evening nap to find her reading while sitting on the sofa. He had looked for her around the house, even at the terrace thinking that she was there watering the plants. But ended up grumpily in his study when he did not find her anywhere. He had got chirped up when he caught a whiff of coffee from outside the study, but to his disappointment, it was his Mom who had brought him coffee today. Sighing, he ended up asking Shweta about Avni's whereabouts & that's when he got to know that she'd be late from work today. Without any second thoughts, he had headed towards her office to pick her up. 

Now that the anger & frustration had subsided, Neil could think clearly. He could clearly envision her face while she was so close to him, she was probably unaware but her eyes spoke a lot. And, Neil had seen helplessness & despair in them, & he didn't like it a bit. He wanted her to be happy, with him! And, he was determined to give it try, he was determined to try till the time she finally caved in.