Perfect Peace (2)

Once Avni was done taking his measurements, she & Mrs. Sinha were accompanied by Ali towards the other players. However, the intact grin on Neil's face had got him earn a "we-need-to-talk" look from his best friend before he left. 

Smiling to himself, he moved out of the room & made his way towards the ground for practice. However, upon reaching there, he witnessed a heartwarming view. A small kid, around three years of age, was roaming around the ground. Neil watched her walking around with her little feet, losing her balance sometimes, & then she sat on the ground, playing with the grass. Chuckling, he too sat besides her on the ground. 

N- Hi, Sugarboo! What'cha doin here? -he almost cooed to her & in an instant she looked at him with her big wide eyes. 

Baby- I shugbu no! -she corrected him as she stood up. 

N(smiles)- Okay. What's your name then, Princess? -he followed her small steps.

Baby- Seher! -she told while taking out a half eaten chocolate from her small bag-pack. 

N- Hi, Seher! I am Neil. Wanna be friends? -he asked as he sat on his knees to match her height, taking out his hand for a handshake.      

S- Do you know Mumma? -she asked while looking at him with scrutinizing eyes. 

N(confused)- Ah, no, I guess! Why? 

S- Mumma says not to be friends with strangers! -she wiped the chocolate near the corner of her mouth, but it spread even more! 

N(sighs)- Hmm! Mumma is right but, I am no stranger, you see! You can call me Buddy. So now you know me! -he tried with hopeful eyes but the kid here was no easy nut to crack.

 S- Buddy who? -she questioned. 

Neil just smiled at the curious little munchkin in front of him. But before he could come up with an answer to her question, a familiar voice was heard. 

A- Seher! Baby, come here! -both Seher & Neil turned around to face Avni.

Both Avni & Neil were shocked to see each other there. Avni didn't want any problems at her workplace, that too at the first day itself. And, for Neil, it was a whole different story. He couldn't figure out if he was shocked, surprised, disheartened or flabbergasted. The girl he was thinking to pursue had a kid! Now, that apparently meant that she was married & of course, there was no chance for him! 

A- Ah, Neil...I am so sorry if she bothered you. Actually, I had to take her to work today as....

N- Hey! Hey, Relax! Its alright. And she didn't bother me! In fact, she is such a cutie! -he passed a genuine smile which she reciprocated back.

 S- You know Mumma? 

N- Seems like I do! -he flashed a small smile towards Avni & then turned to Seher. 

Lifting her up in his arms, he smiled at her. 

N- Wanna be friends now? -he asked & she nodded almost immediately making him smile. 

_______________________________

After an exhausting session of ground practice, Neil was finally going home and since he & Ali shared an apartment, they were together in the car.

Ali- What's wrong with you? Subah toh itna chehak rha tha tu, being all mushy & lovey-dovey aur ab Devdaas wali shakal bna rakhi hai? 

N- Nothing ya! Just tired. -he said, leaning onto the glass window, looking out on the road.