To Be With You (2)

"Hai tu hi tu tasawwur mein, Kahan apni khabar kuch hai!"

Next Day

Avni couldn't get much sleep last night. A faint image of an endearing pair of beautiful hazel brown eyes kept flashing in her mind every time she tried to catch some sleep. The more she tried to fling out her thoughts about the owner of those mesmerizing eyes, the more they came rushing in. She couldn't stop musing about him, her hands itched to paint him on a canvas. 

And when she realised she could no longer hold her urge, she got off her bed at about five in the morning & took her colours out. Setting a blank canvas on the stand, she painted a stroke of brown. The brown of his eyes! Her hands moved on their own accord as her brush worked on the canvas, painting the pitch dark of pupils like that of burnt coal & the hazel brown of his irises like that of a refreshing hot tea that her mother prepared. 

She even heard an earful from Neela when she caught her with her colours splattered across the floor at seven in the morning. 

N - Avni, kitni baar bola hai ki agar painting krni hai toh din mein krliya karo, kabhi time pe soti nhi ho tum! - her daughter's weird sleep patterns were beyond her understanding.

A - C'mon, Mumma! Abhi toh holidays hain. - she grinned at her mother while Neela just shook her head.

N - Acha, dikhao kya bnaya hai!? - she said as she stepped towards her to get a look at the painting. 

However, just when she was about to get a glimpse, Avni quickly removed the canvas from the stand & held the painting close to her chest so that Neela couldn't see. 

A - Abhi puri nhi bani hai, baad mein dekh lena Mumma! - she exclaimed as she sprinted towards her room. 

N - Ajeeb ladki hai! - she chuckled at her daughter's antics as she engaged herself in the household chores.

Avni bit her lips as a shy smile was about to break out on her face thinking about how she had safely hidden the painting of hazel eyes at the back of her cupboard while she climbed up the stairs to the terrace of their building after a heavy dinner. 

Her heart sped up in panic the moment she stepped into the threshold of the terrace as her eyes widened in shock when she saw a small puppy standing on the parapet of the terrace. One misstep & it will fall off the building. She slowly walked towards the parapet while inhaling deep breathes. 

She cautiously jumped on the parapet, making sure she didn't make much noise as it would scare the puppy. However, before she could bend down & carry it, she felt her arm being held from behind. 

Equal parts startled & shocked, she slightly turned around to see who had held her arm.

N - Have you lost your last brain cell also? What are you doing here, standing on the parapet? Gir jaogi niche! - Neil spoke as he held her arm firmly.  

A - Suno, I'm sure your crappy mood can wait. I'm on a rescue mission right now, okay? Leave my hand! - she spoke keeping her voice low. 

Neil just looked at her as his brows furrowed & eyes narrowed at her. Avni rolled her eyes when he still didn't leave her arm & huffed. Turning to the side a little, she pointed her head in the direction where the puppy was sitting on the parapet. Neil sighed as he finally understood the scenario & looked back at Avni. 

N - You come down, I'll go get the puppy. - he said while looking at her with an expressionless face.

A - Why? I can manage just fine! - she frowned.