Confession Letters (3)

Present

Mumbai, 10 AM

Neil was done with his breakfast & was now arranging his bag so that he could leave for the hospital as his shift started at 11 AM sharp. If he had thought that college kept him busy, he could definitely tell his younger self that working as a doctor at the biggest hospital of the city was a whole different busy. He loved his work, that was for sure, but there were days when he was just a shell of his body with no energy to feel all the pent up emotions that kept bottling up!

His personal life was decent - he was single & was focused on his work. However, being a doctor did take a toll on him a few times every now & then. There were times when he just wanted to run away from the ER because it was just too much to take, he hated when he had to inform the families of the patients whose life he couldn't save - those were the days when he felt like he just wanted to lie down for a while & grab some sleep without a worry in the world. Sometimes, he wondered how would it feel to have someone to go back home to! 

He wasn't sad! He had a great family & had great friends, but his family was back in his hometown & his friends were just as busy as he was & they couldn't meet up as much as they would like to. 

Sighing, he completed the task in hand & was about to lock the windows of his room so that it won't be flooded in case it rained while he was away. Just when he closed the window, he heard the door bell ring. He was confused as he wasn't expecting anyone at that hour but he went to open the door nonetheless! 

Just as he opened the door & adjusted his glasses on his nose, he saw the face that he had secretly yearned to find for the past three years. It was her - the girl who had written him the most beautiful letter. It was Avni! She almost looked the same, he observed. Just eyes were darkened by a little kohl & her lip were tinted pink by a gloss, Neil assumed. She was mesmerizing - just as she was three years ago! 

Avni couldn't believe her eyes! There was no way she was standing across him after three long years with her heart still beating like it would break free out of her chest any moment. He looked different than how she remembered him. His gorgeous hazel brown eyes were guarded by his broad glasses, his hair were swept back cleanly which she remembered were always messy back when they were in college. His wrist was adorned by an analog watch - she smiled involuntarily as she looked at the watch - she had gifted him that watch on his farewell, she remembered! 

A - You wear this? - she asked in a haze while looking at his watch!

 N - Of course! Someone gifted it to me as a goodluck charm! - he chuckled as he remembered she had left this watch near his bag with a note on it!

Avni smiled while looking at him & he did the same. They'd have kept looking at each other had they not been disturbed by the loud music that the lift played as it crossed the floor. 

A - Ah, this..is for you! - she said as she handed him a box of cupcakes while he looked at her & then at the box confusedly. Um, turns out I am your new neighbour! - she said while pointing to the flat that was behind her, opposite to Neil's! 

N - Wow! Now, this is what we call coincidences! - he murmured under his breath as he took the box from her & smiled at her. Ah, thankyou, neighbour! - he said while she smiled back!     

Avni nodded her head & turned around as she went back to her apartment a little awkwardly & closed her door quickly as she leaned against it, whilst unknown to her, Neil did the same! 

Ways to go! 

_________________

Avni came back home after work at around 7:30 in the evening & just when she was about to unlock the door of her apartment, she saw a basket of fruits was placed near her door. Frowning, she bent down & picked it up only to find a variety of fruits in the basket along with a note sitting on top of it.