To Be With You (9)

"Rehne lga aajkal hun, main paas itna tere, saari teri aati-jaati, main gin sakun dhadkanein!"

Reaching back home, Neil was about to unlock his apartment when he heard Avni call out to him. 

A - You're coming to the picnic tomorrow, right? - she asked referring to the day-out that their group of friends had planned.

N - I'll get bored, Avnii! Can I just skip? - he sulked.

A - No, you can not! And, Ali, Rhea & Dhruv are coming too. So, you won't get bored. C'mon! - she held his hand as she rubbed her thumb at the back of his hand.

The woman just knew how to get him to agree at everything she wanted!

N - I really want to sleep through the day! - he sulked more.

A - C'mon, Brinjalhead! It will be fun! Please come. - she urged while blinking her eyes.

N - Avnii, I- - he stopped mid-sentence as a thought struck him. Will Kabir be there too? - he asked as he eyes narrowed on their own.

A - Yes! He is a friend too. Of course, he'll come, Neil! - she shrugged unaware of his twisted thoughts.

N - Fine! - he huffed. I'll come. - he told with a grumpy face. Who knows what stunt that lanky gawk Kabir might pull. He had to be there for Avnii, for god's sake! More like for his own sanity's sake, but yeah, let's just sleep over that thought!

A - Now that's a good brinjalhead! - she squealed excitedly as she placed a haste kiss on the corner of his jaw & ran to her apartment. 

Feeling a bit better by the kiss, he unlocked his apartment & moved inside.

_______________

The picnic was near the poolside of Ali's farmhouse. It was a closed group affair which included - Ali, Rhea, Dhruv, Kabir, Saisha, Avni & Neil. 

Neil was just soaking in the beautiful orange-tinged sky as the sun was about to set while he swam in the pool. From the corner of his eyes, he saw Avni stepping inside the pool as she made her way towards him. 

A - Hi! - she whispered as she looked at him.

N - Hi! - he smiled.

A - The sunset is beautiful today! - she said observing how the clear blue water of the pool reflected off shades of red & orange.

N - It is! - he whispered while looking at the way her charcoal black eyes had turned a shade of dark brown as the sunlight reflected off them. 

In a haze, Neil brushed back the wet strands of her hair that were stuck to the sides of her cheek. His fingertips didn't leave her hair as they spun themselves around her long black hair & Neil just kept looking at them as if they enchanted him. 

N - Your hair are so soft! - he whispered subconsciously making Avni's cheek turn pink. 

A - I should go- - her feet slipped on the tiles of the pool as she was standing on her toes, the water was a little deep for her at that side of the pool. 

However, before she could slip back & get water in her nostrils, Neil wrung his arms around her waist & pulled her closer to him. Since, she was wearing a crop top, her bare stomach pressed against his bare abdomen & her hands landed on his shoulders as he yanked her closer to himself in an attempt to hold her steady. 

Avni could feel her heart racing as she could hear it drum in her ears. Her grip on his shoulders tightened on its own accord as she felt his abdomen muscles fidget against her stomach. She could make out the outlines of his abs against her skin as she inadvertently bit her lower lip while blinking her eyes.