Chapter 28 || Veracity

Your POV

I placed the stash of books down onto the ground. My uncle informed me that he will be staying with me for the time being. I'm not sure what it means, and I didn't ask either.

"Oh yeah, Flo?" My uncle called.

When I turned around, he was standing at the doorway. "Could you put them in the drawers as well?"

I accepted because I had nothing planned for the day. Soon after, he left, leaving me alone in his office.
I rummage through the drawers, attempting to figure out where I should store the things.

The first drawer I opened revealed nothing but stacks of books, which I found uninteresting. I selected a few of the books and stacked them nicely on top of one another.

The second drawer was papers, there was so many of them that I can't even see the bottom of the drawer.

I looked back into the box, and saw a few files.

I opened the third drawer as I finished placing the papers into the second.

There's not much I can say about it; it's basically pens and notebooks.

It has been almost 3 weeks without seeing Helena-she left the following morning due to her urgent work. "I didn't really believe I'd find you," she remarked when I inquired why she only remained for two days.

The last time I saw her was at this house, making pasta. I giggled recalling the moments. I suck at cooking, I realized how I barely helped that day.

I recall the sauce almost got burned, to the point she had to say, "Florence, just sit."

She was so fed up with my cooking skills. She said cooking with me is like cooking with a monkey in the kitchen.

She wasn't wrong-But it still hurts.

My legs were cramping, so I sat down on the ground. I slid the final piece of paper into the second drawer and quickly closed it.

At the very bottom of the box, I noticed a few photo books. It was the final item I needed to sort out.

I had to take it up with both hands since it was much heavier than I had anticipated.

A few photographs fell out as soon as I slightly tilted the photo book. It drew my attention since it appeared to be old photographs. Even though the images were old, they were in excellent condition, as if they had just been printed yesterday.

I picked it up in the same order as before. I saw that the photo at the very top was of a toddler. I'm not sure who she reminds me of, but she seems familiar.

I flipped the photos to another one, it was a child riding a bike, I assumed around 6 years old.

I turned the photo over, I noticed a few scribbles on it. "She's learning how to bike :)"

Given the writings, it looks similar to my uncle's writing. It was so sweet of him, I'm sure this little girl meant the world to him. He had always treated me professionally, a tough cover. But I would never guessed for him to be THIS soft.

I flipped to another photo, it was the same child, not much older.

It was a cute picture I must say so myself. That little girl was seated and beaming triumphantly in front of a not-so-beautiful pink lopsided cake. On top of the cake, there is eight numbered candle.

Her hair was covered with flour, followed with a chef hat. I turned the photo around, "She tried to cook her birthday cake. She almost burnt the whole kitchen.. maybe cooking is just not for her :)"

It's crazy how much I related to this little girl. As I read this, I couldn't help but smile unconsciously.

I flipped the photo again, and saw a female graduating which I assumed the little girl I just saw.

I turned the photo around, "My little girl y/n is growing up :)"

My heart began to sink. Y/n..

I threw the photos across the room. My heart was filled with rage. They say anger is the bodyguard of sadness, that the only real way out is vulnerability, and that is exactly what it was right now.

I opened the first drawer again, forcefully looking through them. My eyes landed at a certain file labeled as 'Y/n'

I opened it, and the first thing I saw was a birth certificate, my birth certificate. A copy of it.

As the father's name; I recognized Douglas Greggory.

The next page was a hospital record of "Y̶/̶n̶ ̶Y̶/̶l̶/̶n̶ " it was altered to "Florence Lavigne" with a black ballpoint pen. The car crash, the injuries, the damage it did was all registered on that meaningless piece of paper.

How could I have been so naive? Helena was right from the start. It's no surprise that Douglas and I resembled one other, or that he kept his distance from me. It's no surprise why I had the exact tattoo that Y/n got a few days prior to her accident.

Partly, I also blamed myself for this-How could I possibly drive while inebriated? It's strange considering it was the only reason for the collision.

The sound of someone approaching me interrupted my thoughts.

"How are you holding up?"

I didn't move a muscle, nor did I move my eyes. I was in utter shock.

I finally look up from the photos with tears filling my sight. I saw how his smile dropped, and rushed over to me.

He kneeled down. "What's wrong, Flo?"

People were right; I look just like him.

He seemed concerned, but I couldn't care less. HE KNEW EVERYTHING, HE KNEW I WAS HIS DAUGHTER.

I could almost guarantee that he was to blame for the accident. When he saw my medical records page, his expression dropped.

I swallowed that anger when it was a fire-seed and seems to forgot to drink something cool, and so it grew in my stomach until it came out as hot as any dragon has ever flamed... on the person I once loved most. I'll never forget his eyes, how that fire burnt him to ash. He loved my sparks of passion, the way I sizzled even in the rain, but that fire was too much for his heart to bear.

I stood up urgently, running towards the door. "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!"

He stood up soon after, with heartbreak written all over his face. "How much did you see..?"

"EVERYTHING. I DON'T NEED YOUR STUPID EXPLANATION. SAME GOES FOR THE APOLOGIES."

In a matter of seconds, his eyes erupted with rage, yet he was also crying.. "I DID IT TO PROTECT YOU."

"FROM WHAT, DAD ?" I yelled.

He placed his hands on the roots of his hair. "From Helena!!"

He gave me a cold stare, as if he had no regrets. Helena..?

A/N HEREE!

Again- I apologize for this cliffhanger but this book is almost finisheedd!! It took me a while to make this due to my personal problems. But I'm back now, and I'll try to update this again in a few days <3