Brock

3rd Person POV

"Alright, let's finish this up! Charizard, Overheat!" Ash yelled, a victorious smirk dancing on his face.

"Not so fast, Steelix, Stone Edge full power!" Brock ordered his Pokémon, his face mirroring Ash's determination.

Both attacks collided in a blast of smoke, causing the trainers to momentarily turn away. Once the dust cleared, however, the result was clear.

"Charizard is unable to battle. Steelix wins!" the referee called, pointing towards Brock.

Ash widened his eyes in disbelief. He had lost, with Charizard no less. Another embarrassing loss after his performance in the Vertress Conference in Unova. Maybe he really was starting to lose his edge.

"Wow, great battle, Ash. I didn't think I'd be able to pull through, but you put up a great fight," Brock said with a smile, walking over to the raven-haired trainer.

"Yeah, I really thought I had that one in the bag," Ash tried to smile. "Maybe I'll need to join as a Gym trainer soon."

"Come on, you know you're better than that," Brock replied with a laugh, patting Ash on the shoulder.

"That was a great battle, you guys!" Dawn exclaimed as she made her way over to the two trainers. "I didn't know you were such a good battler, Brock."

"How'd you think I run this gym? Can't be weak for all these trainers now, can I?" he replied with a smile.

The three chatted about the battle for a few moments before Ash interrupted the conversation.

"Your gym is nice and all, but do you think you could spare some time so we can catch up in the city?" Ash asked.

Brock looked at his brother, Forrest, who had been refereeing. The younger boy shrugged and nodded before walking back into the doors of the gym.

"Alright, let's go!" Brock said and dragged Ash and Dawn outside.

While they were walking around the city, Brock noticed that Ash seemed a little off from his usual cheery self. He decided to talk to him about it later.

"So, what are you guys going to do?" Brock asked Dawn while Ash went to get another ice cream after finishing his first one.

"Well, we're going to the Contest in Viridian City tomorrow. Then, we're heading to Kalos the day after," Dawn replied.

"Really? You guys are leaving that soon?" Brock asked, surprised. Usually, Ash would wait at least a few weeks or a couple of months before heading off again.

"Yeah, Ash insists we get to Kalos as soon as possible so he can get the most time possible to prepare for the Kalos League and get used to the region," Dawn said, looking at Ash. "He's been really different after that loss in Unova. He isn't as cheery and happy anymore. The only thing he cares about is winning," she continued.

"I could tell something was off," Brock said. "Maybe he'll come out of it. That's all we can really do. Ash's determination is something that I don't think even Arceus can stop," Brock said, shrugging.

Dawn chuckled. It was true. When Ash was set on something, he would try his absolute hardest to do it.

By this time, Ash had made it back to Dawn and Brock, and they decided to return to the gym.

Once they arrived, Brock said goodbye to Ash and Dawn, who flew off on Charizard and went back to Pallet Town. When they returned to Ash's house, it was nearly 11 o'clock at night.

"I'm going to sleep," Ash said and walked to the door, only to fall inside the house when Delia opened it.

Timeskip brought to you by undead Arceus