Badge No. 1

3rd Person POV

The battlefield was covered in a layer of ice, something which Ash knew would help Surskit a lot. If he wanted to win this battle, he would need to do something about Surskit's mobility.

"Quilava start things off with Flamethrower!" Ash called.

"Surskit, dodge it, then use Aqua Jet" Viola ordered.

Quilava's Flamethrower missed as Surskit skated across the ice elegantly. Then, it surrounded itself a veil of water and and shot towards Quilava like a rocket. 

Instead of dodging, Quilava stood it's ground and kept going with it's Flamethrower attack. With Santalune being his first gym and all, Ash knew that the Pokemon would not be very strong. Gym Leaders used Pokemon based on how many badges the challenger had, and thankfully for Ash, didn't have any at the moment.

Like he expected, Quilava's Flamethrower has broke through Surskit's relatively weak Aqua Jet and had sent the Bug Type flying into a wall.

That was something that Ash could do with his seasoned Pokemon that he wasn't yet able to do with some of his newer Unova Pokemon and his Kalos ones. He just had the chemistry with them so they knew what to do without him even having to say it. This was just one of many examples of such a relationship in action.

From the hole in wall, Surskit barely made it out without fainting. 

Even Ash had to admit, that Pokemon had heart. Now it was time to crush it's hopes and dreams.

"Surskit! Are you alright?!" Viola called out in worry.

Surskit gave a small response before looking back at Quilava, fiery determination in it's eyes. Quilava looked back at Ash, who just sort of shrugged, telling the Pokemon that he could do whatever he wanted.

Quilava gave a satisfied smile, before turning back to the battlefield. 

It was at this moment that a honey blonde decided to enter the gym. However, everyone was too focused on the battle to notice.

Serena POV

I walked into the gym as I had figured that if I had a chance of finding Ash anywhere, it would be there. While the chances were very unlikely, I still decided to give it a try, there was no point in not.

The moment I walked in, I almost started yelling with joy. I thanked my lucky stars over and over again as I saw the trainer I had been looking for. He was currently in a battle with the Gym Leader, Viola, and his Quilava seemed to be winning.

Without any orders from Ash, Quilava dashed forward and fire began to surround it. Surskit tried to dodge, but Quilava slammed into it, full force and sent the Bug Type flying. It seemed to have already taken a lot of damage, and it fainted as soon as it landed.

(A/N: The reason why the battle was so short is because Quilava was trained really well and is a much higher level than Surskit, not to mention the type disadvantage.)

"Surskit is unable to battle, Quilava wins!" the referee called out.

3rd Person POV

Viola sighed and returned her Pokemon. She knew that she would not be able to stand a chance against Ash's seasoned Pokemon. She knew very well who he was and what he was capable of.

"Alright, come on out Vivillon!" she called and threw a Pokeball.

Once the light died down, a majestic purple butterfly-like Pokemon appeared, flapping it's wings.

"Battle begin!"

Immediately, Quilava rushed forward, once again fire covering the Pokemon.

"Vivillon, use Gust!" Viola yelled frantically.