Ryder Isn't In This Chapter

Brynn

"You're the son of the Evil One?" I asked questioningly, starting what is definitely not an infodump.

"Adopted, but yes." Jake said.

I jumped right to the point. "Why do you kill poor people?"

Jake hesitated. "We don't. We just turn poor people into vampires and allow them to work for our gang. We only say they're dead because that's easier to explain."

"But aren't vampires technically dead?"

"No, they're undead. That means they're not dead."

"What work do the Vhampyrs do?"

"We work for the government. We help corporations succeed."

"So why poor people?"

"They're usually the ones looking for work."

"But isn't it unfair, forcing people to work for you?"

"We get their consents before doing anything. Everyone in our gang is paid."

I frowned. Something doesn't add up here. "Isn't your gang evil?"

"No?"

"Then why is the leader called the Evil One?"

"That's not his name. That's the name the Wherewolfs made up to enforce their leftist propaganda. But they are the ones that are truly evil. Did you know that Ryder doesn't pay his workers?"

My heart painfully sighed when I thought of Ryder. I can't believe he broke up with me. I thought we were endgame. I thought he was it for me. But I guess not. I hope he understood that I would never cheat on him.

My tears started to fall when I think about him. I sniffed his sweater. It still smelled like him, with his scent of lemongrass sandalwood and pine mint.

Jake lightly patted my arm. "Don't cry over him, Brynn. You look ugly when you do."

I sniffled, but I couldn't stop. "Shut up, Jake." I said. He was the one that made Ryder and I break up.

The tears kept on falling. I grabbed onto his sweater, the last remnants that he was once my boyfriend. That we were once happy. I don't know how I'm supposed to get through this. I don't think I'm ever getting over him.

I cried and cried. Eventually, I couldn't fight Jake anymore. I let him comfort me with his mixture of affection and words. With great strength, I finally pulled away and wiped my tears.

"You don't deserve him." Jake said. "You are lovely and beautiful and kind and amazing. You are so much better than him. Did you know he owns slaves? That's why it's called the black market."

I laughed, but he didn't. "No, I'm the one who doesn't deserve him. I'm just boring nobody, but he's hot and popular. He deserves someone like Brittany, not me."

"He's just using you, Brynn." Jake continued gently. "I would know. He broke my... sister's heart."

"No, he wouldn't do that. I know him. You don't know him like I do." I denied. After all, he was the one that made Ryder and I... break up. My tears started to form again.

"I do know him. We were friends once, before he broke my sister's heart. I'm sorry, Brynn. I'm sorry that he hurt you so much. I apologize on his behalf, because he would never be manly enough to apologize to you."

I cried again. And again. I let my tears fall. I thought of that day in the forest, when Ryder and I jumped off the cliff together. It was freeing and exhilarating. When we were there in the forest, I believed that we were the only two people to exist. That we will be like this, forever, putting our trust in each other and jumping off together. That day was the first time I felt free. I felt like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.