What a Rainy Ending Given to a Perfect Day

I slid down the slide, laughing. "This is so fun!"

My best friend, Jake, slid down behind me. "Yeah! It is!"

We held hands and skipped together to our secret space. A black girl was there, reading the Autobiography of Malcolm X. When she saw us approach, she mumbled an apology and left.

I sat down and faced him. "I'm so sad I'm moving today."

He looked at me seriously. "I will love you forever and ever. You are my light and my moon and my stars. Every time you see the moon, remember me. I'll do the same for you. Sign this."

"What's that?" I asked curiously, looking at the piece of paper he held out.

"A contract. My daddy said contracts are legally binding." He smiled and signed it.

Jake gave it back to me. I couldn't read well, but it said: Jake Fromstatefarm and Brynn Winters will love each other forever and marry when we get older.

I took the pen from him and signed it.

As soon as I signed it, Ryder burst in and started beating me up.

"I hate you so much." He said in a British accent. I tried not to cry or move as pain spread across my body.

"Hey, stop beating up my friend." Jake said. Ryder immediately stopped, but I was already in pain.

I gasped. "I remember now."

Now that I know, I looked at Jake with new eyes. He was the person I loved all those years ago, my childhood crush.

"Yeah." Jake said desperately. "We were friends, before you moved away. Ryder was your bully."

"I bullied you because I had feelings for you." Ryder said. I looked at him, and I couldn't make the connection. I couldn't believe it. The boy I love was the same one that bullied me years ago. He bullied me because he had feelings for me. Wait. He had feelings for me? Does that mean he love me?

I turned back to Jake. "Are you going to pull out the contract? Please don't. It was so many years ago-"

"You bet your buttocks I am." He pulled out a laminated copy of the contract and shoved it into my face. "I love you, Brynn. I have always loved you."

Suddenly, I heard a large gasp. It was so large, the gasper had to gasp twice. "You were in love with Brynn this whole time?" Brittany gasped. Even her breasts gasped. "How could you! I'm breaking up with you!"

I noticed that Heather was absent from Brittany's little posse. Instead, only Lindsay was there, standing one and a half steps back from Brittany, looking uncomfortable. Their positions looked very weird.

"Did Heather leave you, huh?" I mocked. "You know, all your friends hate you!"

"That's not true!" Lindsay shouted, stepping forward. "I love her."

"Yeah. She loves me." Brittany said, sounding surprised and relieved. They stare at each other for a few seconds.

"So..." Lindsay said.

"Thank you. For your love." Brittany said. She turned back to me. "Stop picking fights with me. Don't you have anything better to do?"

I ignored her. She didn't need to be so overdramatic. "Did Heather finally stop being friends with Brittany?" I whispered to Jake, who has been looking real handsome lately.

"Yeah." He said. "You should have seen it. It was so entertaining. Apparently, Heather got tired of being mistreated by Brittany and Lindsay."

"Nice." I said.

"It's not fair to use your contract as blackmail." Ryder said, changing the subject. He holds out our marriage certificate. "I have this contract. It's more legally binding, which means she loves me more."

"No, she loves me more." Jake said, grabbing my hand. I felt sparks shoot up my body. I immediately jerked my hand away.

"Who do you love, Brynn?" Ryder asked, looking at me pleadingly.

"Who do you choose?" Jake asked, his heartfelt gaze making my heart beat a smidge faster.

I looked between the two of them. Fifteen minutes ago, I would have chosen Ryder without any hesitation. But now, I don't know.

So I did the only thing I could. I ran.

"You can't run away from me! I own you!" Ryder shouted as I ran. I ignored him as I left the house.

I ran and ran and ran. I didn't know where I was going. I just ran. I ran at least a hundred miles. How could I run so far without stopping or dying? Adrenaline, probably.

I slowed to a walk. That's when I processed what was happening. Who was I going to choose? On one hand, I love Ryder. I care for him. But he betrayed me. On the other hand, Jake didn't betray me. I do have some feelings for him. But are those feelings enough for me to choose him? This was a huge problem. There's also the part where it was nighttime and I was a girl in an unfamiliar rural area, but that's not as big of a problem.

I looked back, and for the first time, I noticed a man just a few steps behind me. He was staring at me, or probably just staring in front of him. His orbs seemed to glow in the dark. But I'm sure he's just a random guy.

But just in case, I walked a little quicker. God, please let me be safe. I could hear his footsteps behind me. That is so not suspicious. Not suspicious at all. It's not like he's going to hurt me or anything.

You'll never guess what happened next.

He must be gay or something, because he speed walked quicker than me. Nobody speedwalks quicker than me. In no time, he stood in front of me, knocked me to the ground, beat me up, and kidnapped me. The last thing I could see was his creepy looking smile and the gleam of blood on his sharp fangs.

A/N: Vote. Comment. Share. Like. Subscribe. Turn on the notifications. Or else.