Half and Half

Ryder

I bloody hate Jake Fromstatefarm. He tried to steal my girl. And now, he's trying to steal my friends. That bloody traitor.

"So what you're saying is, you don't own slaves?" Jake asked.

"No. We do not." Chris said, sounding unreasonably friendly. "We tried to make our gang as ethical as possible."

I breathed a sigh of relief. It's a good thing Chris covered for me. What Jake doesn't know won't hurt him. There's a reason why those diamond mines are last resort.

"Interesting. How does your gang work, exactly?"

"Don't tell him anything. He's trying to find out our secrets." I slurred, drinking my wine. I used to be addicted to alcohol and drugs. I quit when I met Brynn, because she was more addicting than any drug. But now that she's gone, I took up my addictions again.

"Don't worry. He hates Billy Bobby Brown, which automatically means he's a good person." Chris said. Ever since he realized Billy killed Malcolm X's parents, Chris has hated him. Simp. I think Billy is the first person Chris has ever hated.

"You hate me?" Billy Bobby Brown sounded shocked. Jake ignored him, turning away to fully face Chris.

"Everybody hates Billy Bobby Brown." I said to Chris. I would love to kill Billy, but sadly, he's more useful alive than dead.

"Exactly." Chris smiled. He turned back to Jake. "And, if I tell Jake here, he might be inspired to build a leftist socialist gang and help the poor."

"Oh, I'm definitely inspired." Jake said, smiling that evil smile of his.

I slammed my glass of wine on the table. "Don't believe him, Chris. He's trying to trick you."

To my surprise, Chris ignored me. "This gang runs mostly on two fuels. Happiness and revenge. I'm in charge of the happiness part, and Ryder's in charge of the revenge."

"Like Machiavelli said." I couldn't resist bragging. I didn't build an entire gang just to not brag about it. "Is it better to be loved or be feared? I choose to be feared, he choose to be loved. Both."

Jake was nodding now. "Elaborate on that."

"In this gang, we let people choose what they want to do. That brings them happiness." Chris said. I leaned back and sipped on my wine.

"But if people chose what they wanted to do, who does the jobs that no one wants to do?" Jake asked. I laughed at his stupid question.

"Technology. Science." Chris replied. "We have very advanced technology."

"How does the technology work?"

"How am I supposed to know? I'm not a scientist."

"But what if the scientists rebel against you? What are you going to do?"

"Why would they rebel against me?"

"You could never know. You can't depend on something as fickle as happiness."

"And you can't exploit your workers for profit. It's unfair."

Jake laughed. "How ironic for you to say that."

Chris' smile diminished. "What do you mean?"

"Your gang is unfair."

Chris narrowed his eyes. "Elaborate on that."

Jake sighed. "Some jobs are less useful than others. Wouldn't it be unfair for everyone to get the same benefits?"

"How would that be unfair?"