Capitalists Deserve To Suffer

Mom smiled drunkenly at me, her grip almost slipping on the bottle she was holding. "I'm here for the wine."

"And I'm here for the sex. That's right, Ryder." The Evil One smiled evilly. He looked just like the Antichrist-- white but evil. "She's your new stepmom. We have a mutually beneficial relationship."

Ryder and I looked at each other. How did this happen?

Then, the pieces started fitting together. The "I'm sleeping with your mom" note. The way Ryder's stepmom didn't show up at the restaurant. Chapter 5, when they both mentioned business trips.

"But how did you  meet him?" I asked.

"Shut up, Brynn. I never liked you." Mom hissed. "I was going to abort you. The only reason you're alive is because your dad was against abortion."

There was a third person standing next to her. It was Jake. He looked aesthetically beautiful. My heart almost sped up when I looked at him. "I guess you two are related now. That means you and Brynn shouldn't be together."

"You're related to her as well, you precarious nice guy." Ryder said. I gasped at his amazing comeback.

Jake shrugged. "I guess both of us can't have her."

"Shut up, Jake." I said. "I will never choose you."

"Why not though?" Jake whined. "I've been so nice to you this entire story. I cared for you. I supported you. I loved you from afar. You should choose me."

"No." I said.

"Fine." Jake said. "I should have expected this. Nice guys always finish last. But just so you know, when Ryder inevitably breaks your heart, don't come crawling back to me!"

"What did you say, pretty boy?" Ryder snarled. "Don't you dare come onto her. She already chose me."

"Don't listen to him, Brynn." Jake said. "He's lying. Choose me instead. I have loved you longer than he had loved you. I'm a good person, unlike him. That means I deserve to be chosen."

"Guess what? Jake is seventeen. That means he's younger than you." Ryder said.

I gasped. I couldn't believe it. I guess I can't choose Jake now. I, as a girl, could never date someone who was younger than me.

"Age is just a number, Daniels." Jake growled.

"Torture is just an action, pretty boy." Ryder threatened.

"Will you guys stop this middle grade kerfuffle and let me tell my backstory?" The Evil One asked.

Jake immediately quieted. My mom continued drinking her wine.

"No. I'm done with listening to what you said." Ryder said. "I won't take over your company!"

"You will do it, son." The Evil One said. Before Ryder could open his mouth, the Evil One began his backstory. "You see, when I was a poor little boy, I had a dream to become an irresponsible rich man-"

"That's a horrible dream, dad." Ryder shouted.

"Oh really? What's your dream, son?" The Evil One said.

"To get revenge on you and live happily with Brynn." Ryder answered. I swooned. I can't believe I was a part of Ryder's dream. I can't believe I had such a big role in his life.

The Evil One laughed. "You need to find better dreams, son."

"Don't you dare discourage-"

"Please refrain from interrupting my speeches." The Evil One said.