𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐎𝐧𝐞: 𝐇𝐨𝐩𝐞

My stomach began to ache and grumble

My stomach began to ache and grumble. I'm starving to death.

I clenched my stomach with one palm, attempting to drown out the din and ease my hunger, but I knew it wouldn't be successful.

When I looked to the side, I noticed that the knights had begun to leave and that the outer gate was starting to lock, leaving only one knight to monitor.

He slouched in his chair and began reading from the newspaper in his hand.

When the sound of a growl erupted from my stomach for the second time, I turned away.

I guess I'll have to endure the shortage of food for the rest of my life here...

I closed my eyes and lowered my head, intending to sleep off my upset stomach for the next few hours.

Then,

A conversation was taking place on the other side of the room at the same time as the knight's words began to echo in my ears.

When the other voice came in, I was on high alert.

This voice is so familiar...

I made the decision to look up and see who it was.

"I was told by His Highness to bring her food. Now, could you please let me in?"

It was Laira.

She was dressed in Deila's maid uniform and holding a tray of food in her right hand.
My mouth dropped open in surprise as she walked into the pathway.

She was the last person I expected to see here.

The knight then let her in and pointed the empty way with his newspaper.

"Well then, go on."
He sank back down on his armrest and went back to his position, continuing to read.

Laira proceeded to walk in my direction, sighing inaudibly as she turned her head away from the knight.

Our gazes were drawn together.

I was about to call her name when I came to a complete stop, understanding that if the knight saw us behaving as if we knew each other, she was going to get in trouble.